The North Atlantic Treaty Organization, NATO, was founded April 4,
1949 as a regional defense alliance. The stated purpose of NATO was to
enhance the stability, well being, and freedom of its members by means
of a system of collective security.
The primary purpose of NATO was (until recently) to defend Eastern
Europe from the perceived threat of Soviet aggression. Before the
alleged end of the Cold War, the USSR was a significant threat. The
forcible installation of communist governments throughout Eastern
Europe, territorial demands by the Soviets, and the support of conflicts
in Greece and Iran was considered a very real dangerous threat to
something that could spark World War III.
Before NATO, in 1947 Britain and France (adversaries for centuries)
signed the Dunkirk Treaty for common defense against aggression.
For over fifty years NATO has been successful in keeping the
Russian/Soviet aggressors out of Eastern Europe — until now.
Notwithstanding all the propaganda (on both sides), all the posturing,
dissembling, duplicity, and fraud, the most significant result of the
Kosovo adventurism is being overlooked. Russia achieved a 50-year
objective … in a cakewalk.
Take a deep breath, step back from the mainstream spin, and consider
the following facts:
- NATO was established as a defensive alliance to prevent Russia
from getting a toehold in Eastern Europe.
- NATO abandoned their defensive role and took on the mantle of
aggressor when they attacked a sovereign country.
- NATO abandoned a 50 year old ally and assaulted the Serbs to ally
with a group of immigrants struggling to carve out a portion of
sovereign Serb soil for their own.
OK, consider that “part one” of the analysis. Next consider the
- We are going to be plagued with assorted silly stories of what is
or isn’t happening in the wake of the alleged “peace accord.”
- Secretary of State Madeline Not-So-Bright has yet again compounded
her serial blunders by mismanaging the Russians.
- The failed Rambouillet agreement has already been exposed as a farce,
designed to spark an “excuse” to precipitate the original bombing of
- This recent peace deal almost went sideways at the last minute
because of ONE SENTENCE stupidly inserted and maintained by Madeleine’s
- Friday last, Moscow’s head negotiator threatened to bypass NATO and
negotiate a Russian-controlled sector directly with Belgrade if
the Atlantic alliance refused to agree. General Leonid Ivashov said
Moscow would not be bullied into placing Russian forces under a unified
Kosovo peace force commander with a NATO general in charge (Britain’s
Sir Michael Jackson). “We are not going to beg the United States to give
us a specific sector,” Ivashov said. “If we do not reach an agreement
(with the Americans) we will work out with Yugoslavia the sector we will
- Saturday it was reported Russian troops were set to beat NATO into
Kosovo, with their commander warning they would seize control of
Serb-populated parts of the province regardless of whether NATO liked it
or not. Neener-neener-neener. …
- Russia DID get on the ground first, and subsequently there was a
series of theater of the absurd “gosh oh gee golly, whoops” — kinda the
Russian variety of a Bill Clinton “bureaucratic foul-up,” but remember,
“hey, everybody does it … right?”
- British paratroopers were put on alert to head off a possible landing
by more Russian forces at Pristina airport, but changed their mind after
a few hours and didn’t. U.S. honchos were caught with their pants down
– this time by a Russian deployment of a couple of hundred troops on
the border with another 1,800 on standby to fly into Yugoslavia.
There are two obscene military terms, which sadly crystallize the
bumbling incompetence of both NATO and the myopic U.S. “leadership.” The
first, FUBAR, means (in a somewhat cleaned up fashion) “Fouled Up Beyond
All Recognition.” The other, SNAFU, means (again sanitized) “Situation
Normal … All Fouled Up.”
The pundit brigade has been pontificating ad nauseam about the
potential for World War III starting in the Balkans (usually for all the
wrong reasons). The mainstream co-conspirators have been so embroiled in
trying to put a patriotic and statesmanlike face on this bastardized
strategic misadventure, they have failed to even acknowledge (to the
best of my knowledge, so far) the monumental significance of the
- NATO has abrogated its charter, and failed in their primary
mission — which was supposed to be to keep a Russian presence out of
- We are on the brink of breathing life into the formerly comatose
- A partitioned occupation force similar to Berlin is all but an
Russia is on the ground — in Kosovo — allied with the indigenous
- NATO, the United States in particular, has created a blood enemy with
a penchant, experience, and lust for long memory … and revenge.
Before the Clinton administration dislocates their collective
shoulder patting themselves on the back, they may want to return to “The
Song of the South” and seek the advice and counsel of Uncle Remus about
Bear Rabbit and the Tar Baby.
Some wag once observed you should be careful whom you step on your
way up; you may have to kiss their butts on the way down. That’s one of
the cute axiomatic bromides that apply to most everyone — except Bill