- Text smaller
- Text bigger
According to what the mainstream disseminators of misinformation and
disinformation tell us, “We won the Cold War and Communism, although not
quite dead, is dying.” That’s their story and they’re sticking to it.
However, even a casual analysis of facts in evidence suggests a
distinctly different reality.
Since 1991 I have been distributing in various forms a list of
Communist goals and objectives. First I would mail a list to anyone who
asked for it and promised to copy and distribute it to friends, enemies,
family and associates. Later (and still) I have an abbreviated list
posted to my web page. W. Cleon
Skousen authored a 1958 book titled, “The Naked Communist.” I have
tried, unsuccessfully, to invite Skousen onto my radio talk show, but he
is quite elderly now and eschews talk radio. “If I did it for you,
everyone else would want to do interviews, and I’m too old and tired.
I have been blessed with being able to interview several great
thinkers before mortality preempted future bookings. I shouldn’t pout,
but rather be grateful for Skousen’s body of work … and I am.
Cleon Skousen has had a rich and multi-faceted life. He was an FBI
agent, the police chief of Salt Lake City, Utah, and a full professor at
Brigham Young University.
I could (and probably should) write separate columns on each of the
following items in the subsequent list of 1958 Communist Goals.
However, this information (and commentary) is not an event, but a
process. Therefore, as an introduction (as I practice restraint) here
is the Skousen 1958 laundry list/wish list of Communist goals. As you
read these please note these were 1958 Communist goals. This is not
another cyberspace urban legend. Florida Congressman A.S. Herlong Jr.
entered this list into the Congressional Records in 1963.
Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to determine how
many of these Communist goals have already been accomplished.
1958 CURRENT COMMUNIST GOALS
- U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to
- U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in
- Develop the illusion that total disarmament (by) the United
States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
- Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist
affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for
- Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
- Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist
- Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the
- Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of
Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free
elections under supervision of the U.N.
- Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United
States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in
- Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
- Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is
rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its
own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world
can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these
two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
- Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
- Do away with all loyalty oaths.
- Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
- Capture one or both of the political parties in the United
- Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American
institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
- Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for
socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get
control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
- Gain control of all student newspapers.
- Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or
organizations which are under Communist attack.
- Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments,
editorial writing, policymaking positions.
- Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
- Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of
artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate
all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless,
awkward and meaningless forms.”
- Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to
promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
- Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them
“censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
- Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting
pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio,
- Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal,
- Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with
“social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for
intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
- Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the
schools on the grounds that it violates the principle of “separation of
church and state.”
- Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate,
old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation
between nations on a worldwide basis.
- Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish
aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
- Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the
teaching of American history on the grounds that it was only a minor
part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since
the Communists took over.
- Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over
any part of the culture — education, social agencies, welfare programs,
mental health clinics, etc.
- Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the
operation of the Communist apparatus.
- Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
- Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
- Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
- Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
- Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social
agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which
no one but psychiatrists can understand (or treat).
- Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as
a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist
- Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and
- Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative
influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding
of children to suppressive influence of parents.
- Create the impression that violence and insurrection are
legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and
special-interest groups should rise up and use united force to solve
economic, political or social problems.
- Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are
ready for self-government.
- Internationalize the Panama Canal.
- Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot
prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction over domestic
problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction over nations and individuals
So? Do you still think we won the cold war? Do you still believe
Communism is dead? How many of the 45 goals listed above do YOU think
have already been achieved?
In 1791 Thomas Jefferson wrote in “Notes on Virginia,” “… the
spirit of the times may alter, will alter. Our rulers will become
corrupt, our people careless. A single zealot may commence persecutor,
and better men be his victims. It can never be too often repeated, that
the time for fixing every essential right on a legal basis is while our
rulers are honest, and ourselves united. For the conclusion of this war
(for Independence) we shall be going down hill. It will not then be
necessary to resort every moment to the people for support. They will be
forgotten, therefore, and their rights disregarded. They will forget
themselves, but in the sole faculty of making money, and will never
think of uniting to effect a due respect for their rights. The shackles,
therefore, which shall not be knocked off at the conclusion of this war,
will remain on us long, will be made heavier and heavier, till our
rights shall revive or expire in a convulsion.”