WASHINGTON — A new affidavit filed in U.S. District Court Thursday night
asserts that, contrary to her claims, first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton
communicated through e-mails via her staff.
The revelation by a former White House employee buttresses a
public-interest law firm’s attempts to obtain a court order to force the White
House to search for any evidence the first lady was involved in the White
House’s stockpiling of FBI dossiers on more than 900 Republicans. She is a
Judicial Watch’s $90 million Filegate lawsuit.
The affidavit, a copy of which was obtained by WorldNetDaily, states that Clinton used her chief of staff to send out e-mails on her behalf.
“It was common knowledge in the Clinton-Gore White House that Mrs. Clinton communicated through e-mail through her staff in the Office of the First Lady,” said former White House computer manager Sheryl Hall in a May 18 sworn statement filed by Judicial Watch.
“In other words, Mrs. Clinton wouldn’t necessarily herself send out an e-mail; she would rather have her staff such as Maggie Williams, her former chief of staff, send out e-mails on her behalf,” said Hall who worked in the White House from 1992 to 1999.
“In many cases, to receive an e-mail from a member of the first lady’s personal staff was equivalent to receiving an e-mail from Hillary Rodham Clinton herself,” she added.
According to a Jupiter Communications Inc. executive, Clinton told a group of “Silicon Alley” New York computer executives gathered at a private meeting last month that she doesn’t use e-mail. The executive told WorldNetDaily that the New York Senate seat candidate claimed “security” issues prevented her from communicating online.
But a knowledgeable source told WorldNetDaily that a personal user account was created for the first lady in June 1999 so that she could tie into the White House’s Lotus Notes e-mail system.
New obstruction charges
In a related matter, Hall also stated that the White House has misled the court, Congress and the independent counsels as to the availability of phone records under subpoena.
In her affidavit, Hall said the White House in late 1993-early 1994 installed new phone equipment designed to hide the “origin of phone calls (such as the specific phone from which a particular call to a particular phone number was placed)” –
news Hall first revealed in an exclusive April 27
Still, Hall said that White House phone records for most of 1993 “contain a level of call detail that would be useful for investigators.”
“This has not been disclosed to the court, Congress or independent counsels,” she said.
In addition, Hall alleged that associate White House counsel Michelle “Shelli” Peterson, who handles subpoena requests, told her in late May-early June 1999 that her office would “stall” investigators until the Clintons left office.
As far as turning over subpoenaed phone records, “We’re not giving the phone records to anybody,” Hall quoted Peterson as saying.
Peterson is the same White House lawyer who in mid-1998 — during the impeachment crisis — supposedly reviewed an expandable file folder full of unarchived Monica Lewinsky e-mails. The 1,000 or so messages were printed out by a Northrop Grumman contractor assigned to do a test search of e-mails on a White House server that wasn’t being properly scanned by the automated archiving system.
Peterson, according to former associate White House counsel Cheryl Mills, reviewed the stash of e-mails and determined that they were identical to others already produced for investigators.
Based on her review, Mills testified, the White House decided not to turn the stash over to Congress, the court or other investigators — and not to inform any of them of two archiving “glitches” involving the Mail2 server, which caused a three-year gap in mostly West Wing e-mails under subpoena.
A 1998 Northrop Grumman audit, as first reported in WorldNetDaily, revealed that the gap in unarchived (and unsearched) e-mails totaled at least 246,000. Hall says it’s closer to a million.
The White House maintains it does not know the content of the omitted e-mails, while simultaneously claiming they’re more than likely just “duplicates” of e-mails already turned over to investigators.
The independent counsel, Congress and the Justice Department campaign-financing task force are all investigating the Project X e-mail scandal, including threats made to Northrop Grumman workers, to see if the White House obstructed justice.