Results of a new national poll indicate 71 percent of Americans oppose the creation of a Palestinian state.
A survey of 1,000 Americans conducted by John McLaughlin and Associates also shows that, by large margins, U.S. residents are opposed to giving aid to the Palestinian Authority and are in favor of having Palestinian terrorists who kill Americans being handed over to the U.S. for prosecution. The poll was commissioned by the Zionist Organization of America.
Other questions in the poll addressed whether Americans believe that the Palestinians’ goal is the destruction of Israel and whether a Palestinian state would be a terrorist state.
The results were released in a statement by the Zionist Organization of America. According to the group, the poll respondents were 36 percent Republicans, 37 percent Democrats and 21 percent independents; 53 percent Protestants, 28 percent Catholic and 2 percent Jews; 76 percent Caucasians, 11 percent black and 10 percent Hispanics.
According to the poll results quoted in the statement:
- 71 percent of Americans believed that the Palestinian Arabs “should not be given a state” because the Palestinians had not fulfilled President Bush’s conditions for creating a state, “such as fighting terrorism, stopping the promotion of hatred in its media, ending the encouragement of murder in its schools, becoming a democracy, and respecting human rights.” Thirteen percent believe the Palestinians had fulfilled those conditions and therefore should be given a state.
- 77 percent of Americans said that “the United States should stop giving the Palestinian Arabs $150-million” in aid each year, while 12 percent favored such aid.
- 61 percent believed that “the goal of Yasser Arafat’s Palestinian Authority is the eventual destruction of Israel,” while 19 percent believed that its goal “is to have a small state living in peace alongside Israel.”
- 51 percent of Americans believed that a Palestinian state would be a terrorist state, while 25 percent said that it would be a democracy.
- 73 percent of Americans said they wanted the U.S. government to demand that the Palestinian Authority “turn over all Palestinian Arabs accused of killing or injuring American citizens.” Sixteen percent said the U.S. should not make that demand. According to the Zionist Organization of America statement, “more than 100 Americans have been murdered by Palestinian Arab terrorist groups, and their killers are being sheltered by the Palestinian Authority.”
- 64 percent believed that world leaders should refuse to meet with Arafat’s No. 2 man, Abu Mazen (Mahmoud Abbas), since he has denied the Holocaust, while 20 percent believed that world leaders should meet with Mazen.
Said ZOA President Morton A. Klein: “This comprehensive survey, done by one of America’s leading pollsters, shows that the vast majority of Americans understand that a Palestinian Arab state would be a terrorist state that seeks Israel’s destruction, and they do not want their tax dollars being used to finance the creation of such a state. President Bush’s support for creating a Palestinian Arab state and giving financial aid to the Palestinian Arabs is clearly at odds with the views of the vast majority of American citizens.”