- Text smaller
- Text bigger
In the immediate aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks while U.S. airspace was restricted,
planes sanctioned by the Bush administration flew about the country gathering some 140
high-ranking Saudi Arabians – including several relatives of al-Qaida chief Osama bin
Laden – who were then spirited out of the country within a week of the terror, according to
a senior official.
While the Saudis have long denied involvement in the massacre that claimed the
lives of some 3,000 people, 15 of the 19 hijackers came from the kingdom.
Former White House counterterrorism chief Richard Clarke described the Saudi
exodus in an interview for the current issue of Vanity Fair on newsstands today. Clarke,
who left the White House in February, lends confirmation to reports of the evacuation
which first surfaced in September 2001, but have been dispelled as rumor and urban
Citing Clarke, the magazine reports that within a week of the hijackings private planes
picked up individuals from 10 cities, including Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., Houston
and Boston. Aviation officials complained the flights took place before the government had
lifted flight restrictions for the general public.
“We were in the midst of the worst terrorist act in history and here we were seeing an
evacuation of the bin Ladens. … I wanted to go the highest levels in Washington,” Tom
Kinton, director of aviation at Boston’s Logan International Airport, told the magazine.
Kinton said it was clear the operation had the blessings of federal authorities.
Once the flight ban was lifted, two jumbo jets transported the Saudis out of the
country. The Boston Globe reported at the time that two flights bound for Saudi Arabia
with members of the bin Laden clan on board left Logan on Sept. 18 and 19. Other
reports put the departure date at Sept. 14.
Clarke said the Saudis feared they “would be targeted for retribution” by Americans
after the hijackings. According to the Globe, a Saudi diplomat said the relatives of bin
Laden had been advised by both the Saudi government and the Federal Bureau of
Investigation to return to Saudi Arabia at least temporarily for their own safety.
Bin Laden is said to be estranged from his family.
“Somebody brought to us for approval the decision to let an airplane filled with Saudis,
including members of the bin Laden family, leave the country,” Clarke, who headed the
Counterrorism Security Group of the National Security Council, told Vanity Fair. He said
he did not recall who requested approval for the flight, but believes it was either the FBI or
the State Department. He said he, in turn, checked with FBI officials, who gave the go
“So I said, ‘Fine, let it happen,'” Clarke told the magazine, adding that he asked the
bureau to make sure no one “inappropriate” was leaving the country.
“I have no idea if they did a good job. I’m not in any position to second guess the FBI,”
The FBI role in the Saudi evacuation operation is in contention.
The Tampa Tribune and New York Times reported at the time that FBI agents
supervised the shepherding of young members of the bin Laden family by car and plane
to secret assembly points in Texas and elsewhere prior to their ultimate departure out of
FBI officials deny this.
“I can say unequivocally that the FBI had no role in facilitating these flights one way or
another,” Special Agent John Iannarelli, the FBI’s spokesman on counterterrorism
activities, told Vanity Fair.
Iannarelli told the New York Times bureau agents interviewed the adult relatives of bin
Laden in the days following Sept. 11 before the White House cleared them to leave the
“We did everything that needed to be done,” the Times quotes him as saying.
“There’s nothing to indicate that any of these people had any information that could have
assisted us, and no one was accorded any additional courtesies that wouldn’t have been
accorded anyone else.”
Dale Watson, the FBI’s former head of counterterrorism, offered contradictory
statements to Vanity Fair. He said that while the bureau identified the Saudis who were on
the plane, “they were not subject to serious interviews or interrogations.”
According to Clarke, top White House officials personally approved the repatriation
plan, which is thought to have been organized by Saudi ambassador to the United States
Prince Bandar bin Sultan. Vanity Fair reports Prince Bandar met with President George
W. Bush on Sept. 13, 2001, but it is not known whether the plan was discussed.
the Saudi envoy donated millions of dollars to bin Laden’s favorite charity, the International
Islamic Relief Organization, or IIRO. And tens of thousands of dollars in donations made
by Princess Haifa bint Faisal, the daughter of the late King Faisal and wife of Bandar,
wound up in the hands of two al-Qaida operatives who later became 9-11 hijackers.
The recently released congressional report on the 9-11 attacks accused the Saudi
government of financing al-Qaida operations through Saudi-based charities.
Twenty-eight pages of the 800-page report the Bush administration refused to
declassify is said to detail suspected ties between the hijackers and agents of the Saudi
government. Congressional sources
claim the report was delayed for months over arguments with the Bush
administration on details of Saudi involvement with al-Qaida.
Saudi officials have reportedly urged the president to release the missing pages.
Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., who last month demanded Riyadh remove a powerful
member of the Saudi royal family from public office over a failure to police terrorist
funding, seized on Clarke’s information to call on the White House to investigate the
post-9-11 Saudi evacuation.
In an interview with the New York Times, Schumer said he suspected that some of
the Saudis who were allowed to leave could have shed light on the events of Sept. 11.
Particularly valuable, he said, would have been information gleaned from two relatives of
bin Laden who he said had links to terrorist groups.
“This is just another example of our country coddling the Saudis and giving them
special privileges that others would never get,” Schumer told the Times. “It’s almost as if
we didn’t want to find out what links existed.”
Reuters reported Bandar had lunch last Wednesday with former President Bush in Kennebunkport, Maine, where the family has long had a vacation home. The next day, he met with Vice President Dick Cheney in Wyoming.
The news agency noted the meetings coincide with efforts by Saudi Arabia to halt a slide in relations amid reported links between some Saudis and attacks on the United States.
Wonder why Osama bin Laden is still on the loose as we near the second anniversary of 9-11? WND Washington Bureau Chief Paul Sperry’s explosive new book, “CRUDE POLITICS: How Bush’s Oil Cronies Hijacked the War on Terrorism,” answers that disturbing question and others.
leads to meeting
added to watch list