Can it possibly be true?
Is Rep. Jane Harman, D-Calif., really under consideration by the White House as the first director of national intelligence?
That’s one of the ideas being floated by the administration right now.
This would be the most powerful intelligence position ever created in the United States – more powerful that the director of the National Security Agency, the director of the Central Intelligence Agency, the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
And who is Jane Harman?
- She votes with the American Civil Liberties Union 73 percent of the time.
- She is in favor of federal funding and stricter sentencing for so-called “hate crimes,” which are actually “thought crimes.”
- She opposes military patrols on our borders to battle drugs and terrorism.
- She votes 100 percent with the National Education Association, an extremist teacher labor lobby.
- She opposes the administration’s energy policies, including drilling in Alaska’s preserves and has a 100 percent voting record according to the League of Conservation Voters.
- She votes with the Christian Coalition on family issues just 16 percent of the time.
- She supports the United Nations and opposed withholding back payments.
- She supported the campaign finance “reform” measures that represent wholesale attacks on the First Amendment.
- She opposed legislation prohibiting gun manufacturers and sellers from being sued over misuse of firearms.
- She opposes reporting of illegal aliens who received hospital treatment in the United States.
- She approved extending immigrant residency rules.
- She votes with the Federation for American Immigration Reform 0 percent of the time.
- She opposed making the Bush tax credits permanent.
- She was rated 25 percent for her votes by the National Taxpayers Union.
- She is rated 100 percent by the National Abortion Rights Action League.
- She opposed banning human cloning.
- She opposed making it a crime to harm a fetus in the commission of other crimes.
- She opposed funding for health providers who refuse to perform abortions.
- She opposed banning partial-birth abortions.
In other words, Jane Harman is out of step with the American people and out of step with many of the declared positions of the Bush administration, yet she is being considered for one of the most important and powerful positions in Washington.
The mere mention of her name in the same breath with this new position is another betrayal of the will of the people – along with the Bush administration’s sellout on driver’s licenses for illegal aliens and the promotion of the invasion of this country by foreign criminals.
How much more of this can we take?
Did Bush actually win the election? Or is John Kerry actually in power?
The country was sold a bill of goods with the so-called intelligence reform bill this week. The people were told that enforcement of immigration laws and reforms prohibiting driver’s licenses for illegal aliens would have to wait for another time, another piece of legislation. But the consideration of Jane Harman to head the new bureaucracy created by this bill would be the ultimate betrayal.
America needs to get tough if we’re serious about winning the war on terrorism.
We need to stop fighting the war under the constraints of political correctness.
The appointment of Jane Harman would not only send all the wrong signals to our friends and enemies, it would compromise our national security.
Her real loyalties are made clear by her political record. If this is the kind of record the Bush administration supports, it needs to be judged accordingly. If this is not a record the Bush administration supports, it’s time to look elsewhere for a qualified candidate to serve as director of national intelligence.