Actual artist rendition of Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg asleep during hearing
Most Americans didn’t see this picture.
I’m quite sure they would have if the Supreme Court justice asleep at the switch were Clarence Thomas or Antonin Scalia.
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
But it was Ruth Bader Snoozeburg catching 40 winks during a Supreme Court hearing last week. And she is a darling of the U.S. media.
Let me count the ways this extremist pleases my colleagues. She is on record as a supporter of:
- “Prostitution, as a consensual act between adults, is arguably within the zone of privacy protected by recent constitutional decisions.”
- A statutory restriction on political rights of bigamists “is of questionable constitutionality since it appears to encroach impermissibly upon private relationships.”
- “Sex-segregated adult or juvenile institutions are obviously separate and in a variety of ways, unequal … If the grand design of such institutions is to prepare inmates for return to the community as persons equipped to benefit from and contribute to civil society, then perpetuation of single-sex institutions should be rejected.”
- “The Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts, while ostensibly providing ‘separate but equal’ benefits to both sexes, perpetuate stereotyped sex roles to the extent that they carry out congressionally-mandated purposes.”
- “Replacing ‘Mother’s Day’ and ‘Father’s Day’ with a ‘Parents’ Day’ should be considered, as an observance more consistent with a policy of minimizing traditional sex-based differences in parental roles.”
- Lowering the age of consent for purposes of statutory rape from 16 to 12.
And these are positions she held publicly before her nomination and confirmation to the U.S. Supreme Court.
During her tenure she has ruled with the majority to:
- strike down all sodomy laws in the U.S.;
- permit local governments to seize private property for no other reason than raising tax revenue;
- approve race-based preferences in hiring and student admissions;
- approve the biggest attack on the First Amendment in my lifetime – the so-called “campaign finance reforms” that limit political speech before elections;
I could go on and on. You either get it by now or you don’t. This woman cares nothing about the Constitution, our nation’s rich heritage of limited government, the rule of law, the will of the people, the notion of self-government or, frankly, freedom.
She’s an elitist – a former political director for the American Civil Liberties Union. She’s one of those creatures I just can’t stand – the kind who believes she and her law-school buddies know better how to run your life than you do.
And that’s why you probably never saw this picture until today. It shows Ruth Bader Snoozeburg, as she should be known henceforth, asleep during oral arguments about political redistricting in Texas.
Credit Associated Press newswoman Gina Holland for noting the incident in her story: “The subject matter was extremely technical and near the end of the argument Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dozed in her chair. Justices David Souter and Samuel Alito, who flank the 72-year-old, looked at her but did not give her a nudge.”
One account had her out like a light for a solid 15 minutes.
Frankly, America is safest from judicial tyranny when Snoozeburg is unconscious. Unfortunately, she is not likely to miss rulings to narcoleptic attacks, just the arguments considered so vital to the decisions these high priests in black robes hand down.
But remember this drawing the next time you hear Snoozeburg tell you about how important is “the process” that she and her colleagues use to make their rulings from on high.
It was a mistake to confirm this extremist to the highest court in the land. It is a bigger mistake to pretend this 72-year-old is faithfully exercising her duties.
Time for her to retire – so she can take as many midday naps as she likes.