Actor Michael Douglas – who for many years has been designated by the United Nations as a “U.N. peace messenger” – is backing the global body’s upcoming conference on small arms trafficking.
In a public service announcement, Douglas “spotlights the illicit trade in small arms and light weapons and promotes an upcoming U.N. conference aimed at addressing the problem,” according to the U.N. News Center.
The controversial conference wins the prize for having the longest name in memory: “The U.N. Conference to Review Progress Made in the Implementation of the Program of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons.” It is scheduled for June 26 through July 7 in New York City.
“The conference is an opportunity for U.N. member states to build on the Program of Action and to encourage countries to strengthen their laws on the illicit trade,” says Douglas. The plan was adopted in 2001.
Douglas’s public service announcement is part of a U.N. public information campaign, and “calls attention to the dangers posed by the illicit trade in small arms and light weapons, including their humanitarian and social impact on children and the civilian population in general,” says the U.N. website’s story.
Douglas was appointed a “messenger of peace by Secretary-General Kofi Annan in 1998. His focus has been primarily on disarmament – from nuclear on down to small arms.
Last month Douglas presented Annan, who has been besieged with corruption complaints in recent months, with an award for his dedication to ridding the world of land mines.
Although an effort by the U.N. to control Americans’ guns seems far-fetched and improbable to some, as
WorldNetDaily has reported in a major investigation, that plan has its roots back in the early 1960s with a 20-page State Department pamphlet titled “Freedom From War: The United States Program for General and Complete Disarmament in a Peaceful World.”
More recently, National Rifle Association Vice President Wayne LaPierre warns that the U.N. is concerned about banning a lot more than just land mines and illicit weapons in African hot spots. He says the global body also wants the firearms of American citizens as well.
In fact, says LaPierre in the just-released book, “The Global War on Your Guns,” the U.N. is so sure it can commandeer the Second Amendment that it chose the Fourth of July, 2006, to hold its global gun ban summit in New York City.
In the book, LaPierre claims a 1997 land-mine treaty actually molded the U.N.’s new anti-gun strategy; that the U.N. funnels Americans’ tax dollars to anti-gun member nations; that U.S. gun-control advocates are investing in the U.N.’s activities; and that even the most extreme U.N. gun laws can be enforced on Americans, without the benefit of a new treaty.
In exposing the labyrinth of international connections and cash flow that have made the controversial U.N. plan possible, LaPierre also spotlights global billionaires like George Soros, as well as an extensive coalition of domestic and worldwide gun-ban and animal-rights groups led by the International Action Network on Small Arms.
SPECIAL OFFER: For a limited time, purchase “The Global War on Your Guns” and not only will you get a nice discount, but you’ll also receive a FREE copy of Wayne LaPierre’s previous blockbuster book, “Guns, Freedom, and Terrorism,” which normally sells for $24.99. You get BOTH hardcover books for only $22.99! (Free-book offer good in the U.S. only and while supplies last.)