There is nothing new under the sun. ~ King Solomon (950 B.C.)
What is the Cult of Celebrity? First, it happens in every society in one form or another. It is when a man (or woman) does something either heroic, unremarkable, infamous or obscene at a particular time in history that is over exalted and hyped up beyond measure by society to such an excessive degree that it takes on a life of its own apart from the person, eventually metamorphosing into a cult. (Here, timing is everything). Eventually, that person is found out to be a fraud, a kook, a mediocrity or a maniac and is summarily thrown onto the ash heap of history – into the abyss of excess, vanity and irrelevance along with all the multitudes of other false prophets, traitors, charlatans, despots and demagogues from antiquity.
Recent Cult of Celebrity inductees of the past 200 years are Benedict Arnold, Thomas Paine (post-“Common Sense”), Aaron Burr, Salieri, Darwin, Marx, Freud, France (1919-the present), the Nobel Peace Prize Committee, Margaret Mead, Margaret Sanger, Charles Lindbergh, Hitler, Alger Hiss, the Pulitzer Prize Committee, Dr. W.E.B. Dubois, Dr. Spock, Dr. Kinsey, JFK, Madeline Murray O’Hare, Walter Cronkite, “Rev.” Jim Jones, “Rev.” Al Sharpton, the Congressional Black Caucus, Britney Speers, ex-Duke prosecutor Mike Nifong, Rosie O’Donnell, the propaganda press, Virginia Tech mass murderer Cho Sueng-Hui … and virtually every Oscar winner since 1960.
In February, Al Gore received an Oscar for his movie/documentary on global warming, “An Inconvenient Truth,” and there is buzz that he is a shoe-in to win the Nobel Peace Prize. The Cult of Celebrity Al Gore presently enjoys reminds me of another notorious character of the prior generation that had a similar Svengali-effect upon all levels of culture and society of his day. I speak of none other than that hippie, activist, fugitive and murder, Ira Einhorn.
Who was Ira Einhorn? Einhorn was a major voice in ecological and anti-war movements in the 1960s and 1970s. He was a contemporary and friend of such socialist radicals as Jerry Rubin and Abbie Hoffman. He also claimed to have been involved in creating Earth Day in 1970 and was a keynote speaker at the first Earth Day rally in Philadelphia that same year.
Einhorn possessed brilliant cognitive and rhetorical gifts. He studied at the University of Pennsylvania and had a five-year relationship with the beautiful Holly Maddux – a vivacious young lady from Tyler, Texas, who graduated from the elite Bryn Mawr College. However, after a while Holly grew weary of Einhorn’s narcissism and his controlling nature. In 1977, she went to New York City and became romantically involved with Saul Lapidus. Einhorn was outraged and used his charm and cunning to lure Maddux back to his Philadelphia apartment (presumably to get her belongings) on Sept. 9. Holly was never seen in public again.
The mythic lives of Ira Einhorn and Al Gore are a case study of history tragically repeating itself. The self-will, arrogance and sense of entitlement of the baby boomer generation of which Gore and Einhorn are two of their elder statesmen, continues to contaminate modern society.
For example, prior to the trinity from hell – the ACLU, the Warren Court (1953-69) and the Burger Court (1969-86) – and its systematic deconstruction of the Constitution, a scoundrel and demagogue like Einhorn would, after one appeal, be promptly and publicly hanged for so cruelly and callously murdering Holly, dismembering her body and, paradoxically, putting her mutilated remains inside the trunk she was to take her belongings in!
Furthermore, if America was culturally rational, a snake oil salesman like Al Gore would be publicly mocked, horsewhipped or sued into oblivion as an utter fraud for his massive global warming scam perpetuated against the American people. However, these are perilous and perverse times we live in today where good is considered evil and evil touted as good, virtuous and laudatory; where the Cult of Celebrity exalts its own like Ira Einhorn and Al Gore and gives them plaudits, prizes and a platform to spew their vile propaganda of lies and deceit – all legitimized by the best “scientific” opinions money can buy.
Three thousand years ago King Solomon said, “There is nothing new under the sun.” Following the logic of the wisest man that ever lived, I have noted some of the similarities between the cases of Einhorn and Gore:
- Both reveled in the fawning and sycophantic treatment from the propaganda press;
- Both enjoyed slavish obeisance by the academy and the scientific community;
- Both were enabled by socialites – Seagram’s heiress Barbara Brofman paid Einhorn’s $16,000 bail and aided his escape to Europe for 16 years. Sen. John “Heinz” Kerry and his heiress wife, Teresa Heinz, have just co-authored a propaganda tome touting Gore’s global warming thesis;
- Both men were lionized by the mental midgets in Hollywood;
- Shyster lawyers groups (ACLU, Trial Lawyers Association) and opportunistic politicians (Sens. Arlen Specter, Ted Kennedy and Hillary Rodham Clinton) – all supported Einhorn and Gore’s environmental scams (Specter made his bones by being Einhorn’s first defense attorney!);
- Incompetent legal system – Intimidated by Einhorn’s Cult Celebrity status, the Philadelphia police didn’t search Einhorn’s apartment for 18 months after Holly’s disappearance. Neighbors below Einhorn complained of the horrible stench and a mysterious dark stain on their ceiling, because Holly’s remains leaked through the trunk. Gore has got liberal activist judges in his back pocket eager to codify global warming hysteria into law.
- After his appeals ran out, Einhorn slit his throat before being extradited from France back to the U.S. Al Gore wants Americans to slit (or cut) the size of their “carbon footprint” so that he can run up $30,000 in annual utility bills in of all places, Tennessee!
- Einhorn’s defense: The CIA murdered Holly and framed him due to his investigations into Cold War “psychotronics.” Al Gore says he invented the Internet; he is about to win the Nobel Peace Prize for telling Americans “we’re killing the planet,” and to avoid environmental catastrophe, Gore wants Americans to buy “carbon credits” from his company if you exceed your energy quota, etc.
Prometheus in a black dress and conservative writer Ann Coulter summarizes the Cult of Celebrity, the Zeitgeist of the 1960s and the death of rational thinking in modern times admirably and profoundly: “While the form of treachery varies slightly from case to case, liberals always manage to take the position that most undermines American [security].” Happy Earth Day!
Related special offer: