America, America, God shed His grace on thee. Why? It wasn’t because we were His favorites. Nor because we were the richest. But there was something about America that wasn’t found in other Western nations.
Blessed more than Mexico, Canada or any nation in South America that came looking for gold, as you can see at the 400th anniversary of Jamestown, America came looking for God.
Why has God blessed us so richly? Get a glimpse into Western Hemisphere history from a 1789 snapshot:
- In 1789, our first president, George Washington, was sworn in. He immediately kissed his Bible and went to the Capitol for a two-hour worship service. While the ACLU has sandblasted for decades, they still can’t erase the fact that our nation was dedicated to God, in whom our national motto declares, “we trust.”
- In 1789, the single richest colony in the world was … Haiti. The sugar-producing French colony was called “the jewel of the Caribbean.” Import and export profits of Haiti exceeded those of the entire United States. Then, following a bloody riot, Haiti was dedicated to voodoo.
So America was dedicated to God, and Haiti was dedicated to Satan. Then, rag-tag America conquered the most powerful nation in the world and went on to become the richest nation in the world. Haiti went from the very richest to the very poorest nation in the world.
There are two things America loved most: God and freedom. But, last week we turned our back on both.
Like honoring a golden calf for our deliverance, last Thursday, I stood in horror watching the state-sanctioned prayer to false gods on the floor of the United States Senate. Ante and Katherine Pavkovic and their daughter, Christan Sugar, were arrested when they boldly stood up in the Senate Gallery and proclaimed: “Lord Jesus, forgive us, Father, for allowing the prayer of the wicked, which is an abomination in your sight. … You shall have no other gods before you. You are the one true, living God. … Lord have mercy.”
Unless you sing “Gods bless America, let your senators know how you feel about this abomination: 202-224-3121. God is not fond of idolatry. Ask the people of Haiti.
Why did this happen? Perhaps the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for 28 million evangelical Christians to stay home on election day.
We have ushered in idolatry with the “official U.S. government stamp of approval” (not to mention the postage stamp dedicated to Islam). And now we are about to strip freedom of speech and criminalize Christianity with the most dangerous amendment in America – No. 2067, about to be attached to the Defense Authorization bill, H.R. 1585.
I wrote about it extensively in my book, “The Criminalization of Christianity,” but here’s the cliff notes of what so called “hate crime” legislation has already done in America. This is no longer up for debate. Here are the facts:
- Madison, Wis. David Ott, a former homosexual, was arrested for a “hate crime” for sharing his testimony with a homosexual at a gas station. He faced a $10,000 fine and one year behind bars. Seven thousands dollars in legal fees later, he was ordered to attend re-education classes at the University of Wisconsin conducted by a lesbian.
- St. Petersburg, Fla. Five Christians, including two pastors, were arrested at a homosexual rally for stepping onto the public sidewalk instead of staying caged in their officially designated “free speech zone.” Their signs were also “illegal” because they were slightly “bigger than their torsos.” Apparently, large people are entitled to more speech than those with smaller frames.
- Elmira, N.Y. The Elmira police arrested seven Christians for praying in a public park where a homosexual festival was getting started. A female officer told the group, “You’re not going to enter the park, and you’re not going to share your religion with anybody in this park.” The group of seven didn’t say anything, but got down on their faces and silently prayed. They were promptly placed in handcuffs.
- Crystal Lake, Illinois. Two 16-year-old girls are facing felony “hate crime” charges for the content of their flyers.
- Philadelphia, Pa. Arlene Elshinnawy, a 75-year-old grandmother of three, and Linda Beckman, a 70-year-old grandmother of 10 (along with nine others), were arrested for sharing their faith on the public sidewalk. They faced 47 years (the rest of their lives) in jail for spreading the Gospel because of a Pennsylvania “hate crimes” law. Hear from the grandma’s at www.StopHateCrimesNow.com.
- Palmdale, Calif., Pastor Audie Yancey, a retired U.S. Marine Corps 20-year veteran, was charged with a “hate crime” for handing out a Christian tract that illustrated the link between Islam and the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. The tract featured a picture of an American flag and beneath it the words, “Remember 9/11: In the name of Allah they brought destruction and death to thousands. In the name of Jesus Christ you can have eternal life.”
Just how many cases do we need to cite before America stands up and stops the bill that will criminalize Christianity?
The vote on the amendment that would enshrine this kind of criminalization in national law is scheduled in the Senate this week. It will criminalize not just those willing to speak the truth and spread the Gospel in the public square, but those pastors, authors, radio hosts and anyone who “counsels, commands, induces or procures [the commission of a ‘hate crime’], [who will be] punishable as a principal.” –Title 18 U.S. Criminal Code, Section Sec. 2(a).
America, America, God shed His grace on thee. God blessed us because we honored Him. We were given freedom. But we’re about to lose it unless we use it.
Call your senators at 202-224-3121 or use their direct lines or e-mail addresses. Let them know what you think about the government-approved idolatrous prayer and the assault on Christians and freedom of speech in the dangerous “hate crime amendment” (No. 2067) to the Defense Authorization bill, H.R. 1585. Then go register 10 people to vote.
Related special offers: