- Text smaller
- Text bigger
Here’s the conservative strategy to date: React, respond and defend against all the attacks on our beliefs, our values and our freedoms.
In the battle to protect marriage, for example, we pour everything we have into passing a marriage amendment – gathering signatures, overcoming the lies and turning out the vote. Yet, at the end of the day when we “win,” all we get to do is keep what we already had. Hurray.
Now contrast that with the pro-active (and dangerous) demands of the homosexual movement distributed at their “Gay Pride” march in Washington, D.C., April 25, 1993:
- Demand the repeal of all sodomy laws and legalization of all forms of sexual expression (including pedophilia, changing age of consent laws to allow sex with youth).
- Demand defense budget funds be diverted to cover AIDS patients’ medical expenses, and taxpayer funding of sex change operations.
- Demand the legalization of same-sex marriages, and legalization of adoption, custody and foster care within these structures.
- Demand the full inclusion of lesbians, homosexual men, bisexuals and transgenders in education and child care.
- Demand that contraceptives and abortion services be made available to all persons, regardless of age.
- Demand taxpayer funding for artificial insemination of lesbians and bisexuals. Forbid religious-based concerns regarding homosexuality from being expressed.
- Demand that organizations, such as Boy Scouts, be required to accept homosexual scoutmasters.
Do any of these sound familiar? Just get out your pencil and check off the list beginning with No. 1: Sodomy laws repealed in the Supreme Court Lawrence v. Texas decision June 26, 2003. Another way to say “Forbid religious-based concerns regarding homosexuality from being expressed” is to Criminalize Christianity.And they are closer to this goal than you know.
Now I want you to do a paradigm shift and step out of the way we’ve operated for the last four decades and think about something new. Think about winning. What does winning the cultural war look like?
I think it would look something like Genesis 1:26: “Let them have dominion over … all the earth. …”
First, we must regain control of the public debate and the battlefronts, including:
- the schools
- the universities
- the legislatures
- the courts
- the White House
- the media
- the music
- and Hollywood
When Google controls the search engines, they can screen out Christians like they just did in the UK. Not to mention the music world. Rather than influencing that arena, we have become just another subculture: Christian music (for when you’re tired of rock, top 40, jazz or classical.) Suffice it to say that we need to be living out our beliefs in EVERY segment of our culture. This is just a list from which to start.
In addition, to win, three things must change:
- We must work together.
- We must move from defense to an offense.
- We must control the debate.
First, we must work together.
Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them: “Any kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and a house divided against itself will fall.” – Luke 11:17
Many overextended, under-funded, battle-weary troops are trying to fight every battle on all sides – independent of each other. But as large or as good as each group may be, it simply cannot be all things to all people and lead the charge in every battle. While parallel organizations are aimed at a similar “general” goal of stopping abortion or protecting the family, for example, there is no overall battle plan to get there.
Our isolated, “island” approach has also led to our inferiority complex. Each group feels the “weight of the entire battle” because they don’t see the allied troops beside them who, like them, also feel like they are fighting alone.
Second, we must move from defense to offense.
The Lord your God has given you this land to take possession of it. – Deuteronomy 2:18b
In each battle, we pour out all our time, all our energy and all our money just to try and keep what we already had. But in a defensive posture, even when we “win,” we lose. You see, if they set a dozen brushfires, and we put out nine, we still have a net loss of three. When we “win” in defensive mode, we gain nothing.
And third, we must control the debate and use our most powerful weapon.
… And he who has My word, let him speak My word faithfully. … Is not My word like a fire? says the Lord, and like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces? – Jeremiah 23:28, 29
We have entered the battle with our single most powerful weapon – the sword of the Spirit – at home. They don’t want us to pray in Jesus’ name – because that is where the power is. In the same way, they’ll do all they can to keep us from speaking the word of God. Too often, we comply – debating issues without the most powerful weapon in our arsenal.
We are debating whether we should be “allowed” to pray in public, say the pledge, post the Commandments, wear a cross or a T-shirt. Instead of defending our basic rights in response to their attacks, we need to be initiating and debating what will gain us ground we didn’t previously have.
Imagine for a moment that you had all the resources you needed. What would our demands be?
- We demand an end to abortion – now.
- We demand Planned Parenthood be defunded and pay back all tax money received where they have violated state statutory rape reporting laws.
- We demand marriage between a man and a woman remain the only recognized, protected and subsidized union. All counterfeit unions will not to be legally recognized.
- Freedom of religion will be practiced unhindered in every facet of America including public schools, the workplace, media, Internet and the public square.
- Freedom of speech will not be relegated to “zones” but rather practiced in every corner of society including schools, the workplace, media, Internet and the public square.
- Judges who usurp their authority will be automatically removed from office.
- Executive officers and legislatures shall not obey illegal court decisions but rather remove the judges who made them.
- We demand that any school who puts a minor in harm’s way in violation of all 50 state laws by promoting dangerous behavior, including homosexuality and abortion, will automatically lose its public funding.
- Creationism will be taught in public schools as an alternative theory.
- The government school monopoly will be broken with tax vouchers for parents to choose their child’s education including homeschooling.
Related special offers: