- Text smaller
- Text bigger
With a couple weeks left before what promises to be a historic midterm election, it’s time to consider the priorities for the next Congress.
What needs to be done?
How can the next Congress avoid the failures of previous ones following massive political realignments?
What should be on the agenda in the first year?
Here’s my non-policy-wonk, shoot-from-the-hip version of a post-election to-do list:
- Repeal Obamacare. Kill it. Stick a fork in it. Don’t try to salvage it in any way. It’s time to start extricating the federal government from matters as personal and private as health care, not getting more entangled and making things more complicated.
- Make certain every piece of legislation passed by Congress explicitly details which provision of the Constitution empowers the federal government to take the action. This is part of the GOP’s “Pledge to America.” It had better follow through.
- Call Barack Obama’s bluff and launch a full-blown congressional investigation into how foreign money is finding its way into election campaigns. Republicans and Democrats should be indicted and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for violations.
- Make a priority of dismantling the tax code with an eye toward eliminating the Internal Revenue Service and the “progressive” income tax altogether.
- Make a list of federal bureaucracies that need to be eliminated because they are unconstitutional – the Department of Education, the National Endowment of the Arts, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Legal Services Corporation, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, etc.
- Eliminate the Federal Reserve.
- Rein in out-of-control, activist federal judiciary. Congress has the power to limit the scope of what the federal courts can rule on. It’s time to use it.
- Start drilling for oil domestically and approving the construction of nuclear power plants and oil refineries with an eye toward energy independence.
- Defund ACORN, Planned Parenthood and other political organizations on the taxpayer dole.
- Appoint a blue-ribbon commission to investigate activities of the federal government that are unconstitutional with an eye toward elimination.
- Complete the fence on the border between the U.S. and Mexico and provide the Border Patrol with the tools necessary to stop illegal immigration.
- Cut the capital gains tax to stimulate the economy.
- Immediately block all stimulus spending and launch an investigation into how stimulus funds were spent.
- Get Osama bin Laden at all costs, including with the use of tactical nuclear weapons, if necessary, then withdraw all U.S. troops from Iraq and Afghanistan and curtail foreign commitments elsewhere.
- Defund the Palestinian Authority and stop pressuring Israel to negotiate with terrorists.
- Curtail all foreign aid with an eye toward total elimination.
- Call for a national day of prayer and fasting in the U.S.
- Investigate the activities of the Muslim Brotherhood within the U.S.
- Repeal all tax increases enacted by previous Congress and Barack Obama.
- Privatize Social Security.
- End TARP.
- Pass legislation that requires all future presidential candidates, beginning in 2012, to prove constitutional eligibility before getting on state ballots.
That’s a start.
I’m sure I’ve missed many important priorities. Maybe you have some ideas to contribute. I’ve begun a forum for those ideas effective today.
But just think about how much healthier America would be if even half of this agenda could be accomplished before the end of 2012.
Do you think the Republicans would be in good shape to take the presidency if they fielded a worthy candidate?
Do you think they would be in a position to improve their standing in the House and Senate?
Do you think America would be headed back in the right direction?