Obama plans to make his 'fundamental transformation' irreversible – no matter who succeeds him
|written and edited by John J. Bulten
1. Sleeping-bag filling from the ceiba tree: rare
4. Public or Adams: 2 wds., abbr.
7. Mitsubishi Group camera giant
10. Convicted felon who helped Barry buy his Hyde Park home
12. Fifties puppet now watchable on DVD
14. Homeopathic cold and allergy reliever
15. President who shared the Nobel Prize with Mandela, for short
16. Racy dresser: colloq.
17. Lurk or slink, perhaps
19. Law-enforcement portrayal by Telly Savalas
22. Classically American stringed instrument
23. Eggy source for vision-support compounds lutein and zeaxanthin
24. Genuine and authentic, like the local sahib
25. Atlantic Council foreign-relations think-tanker Frederick
27. Author and putative inventor of the word “robot”
29. Russian sub sunk in 2000 by its own torpedoes
32. Kenyan relative left behind by Barack H. Obama to marry in America
35. New York netter
38. Definitive WWII battle
39. Overcasual nickname for the Prince of Wales
40. City manager of Bell, Calif., “highest-paid government employee” in America
41. Loaded with carbonation
42. Downloadable notable, the author hopes: hyph.
43. Tortuously perverted
44. SUV from Pontiac
1. Elliott and Cameron, e.g.
2. Herman Cain’s area of expertise
3. With “off”, make hurriedly or stop hurriedly
4. Global head of news at Reuters, who eschews the word “terrorist”
5. Japanese poems, with seventeen syllables, often seasonal: var.
6. Ineffable hypothetical physics particle that doesn’t know up from down
8. Snatch from a pedagogical lyric: hyph.
9. The “catastrophe” of Israel’s founding, to some Muslims: Arabic
11. Motile hormone that dilates blood vessels or contracts muscles
13. Quintessential nerd who started out as a one-episode joke
18. Ophthalmological specialty that remains competitively priced
19. Change after reading “The Gulag Archipelago”, perhaps: var.
20. White House resident who died mysteriously on July 16, 1999: abbr.
21. Knapsack astride one’s packsaddle (or homonym of 37-Down): rare
22. Defendant in the Supreme Court’s affirmative-action decision
26. German state capital captured by Patton in WWII
28. Early promoter of a “Madoff scheme”
30. Alternate name of the first British “Ariel” satellite: 3 wds., abbr.
31. Michael Moore’s 2007 rearrangement of chairs in the health-care debate
32. Convicted felon who worked closely with Rudy and was nearly tapped by Dubya
33. Form of Buddhist meditation upon paradoxical koans
34. Containing particular nitrous joins
35. Labyrinthine author who wrote an entire story about a cockroach
36. Baath Party name that sounds like a request to verify the truth, “so”?
37. Eskimo conveyance