- WND - http://www.wnd.com -

Fire-hazard fears over compact fluorescent lamps

Posted By On 12/28/2011 @ 5:47 pm In Front Page | Comments Disabled

Compact fluorescent lamps, which will gradually replace traditional incandescent bulbs, are a fire hazard that could burn down your home, experts have warned.

The lamps (CFLs) use electricity to heat an element in the lamp’s base that leads the mercury vapor gas in the coils to emit light.

But when a CFL can no longer produce light, the electronics in its base will still try to function, sometimes leading to overheating, smoke and fire.

Read the whole story at London Daily Mail


Article printed from WND: http://www.wnd.com

URL to article: http://www.wnd.com/2011/12/382161/

© Copyright 1997-2013. All Rights Reserved. WND.com.