A citizen reaction to a move by Democrats in the California legislature to impose homosexual indoctrination on public school students has been launched with a campaign to put the issue on a coming election ballot.
“If we can match the enthusiasm we saw for this issue last fall, and carry that through the extra time that has been given to us for the initiative, we will get this on the ballot,” he said.
The pro-family group announced that it has begun circulating petitions to collect signatures to place an initiative on the statewide ballot to repeal SB 48.
The controversial law mandates positive portrayals of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons in public school social studies and history classes. It has been widely criticized for shifting the focus from achievements and historical milestones to individuals’ sexuality.
The new law is called the Children Learning Accurate Social Science (CLASS) Act. Long-form petitions against the law are being shipped to distribution centers across California, and short-form petitions are now available for download at StopSB48.com.
Last fall, a referendum drive to directly repeal SB 48 gathered approximately 500,000 signatures, about two-thirds of what was needed. As an initiative, the new effort will have significantly more time for signature gathering – between now and July 11 – causing proponents to feel energized.
PJI Chief Counsel Kevin Snider, the primary author of the initiative, said, “Our greatest enemy in this battle is complacency. Thinking someone else will sign or distribute the CLASS petition will not produce the change we so desperately need in our public schools.”
It was Randy Thomasson, founder of SaveCalifornia.com, who earlier pointed out that state education officials were softening the language they use to describe the law’s new requirements in a way that could deceive parents.
“In an apparent attempt to keep children enrolled for the purpose of sexual indoctrination and average daily attendance funding, the California Department of Education is deceiving parents about the mandate of SB 48, which requires, through supplement instructional materials right now, and new textbooks in three years, that children admire ‘lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans,’” he said.
He cited the explanations that the state Department of Education has posted online regarding Senate Bill 48, adopted last year by the legislature and signed into law.
The law says teachers and schools “shall” teach only positive aspects of such sexual alternatives. It states instruction in social sciences “shall include … a study of the role and contributions of … lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans … with particular emphasis on portraying the role of these groups in contemporary society.”
It also forbids any negative portrayal of such lifestyle choices.
“On its website, the CDE refuses to use the word ‘shall,’ which is the operative command in SB 48,” he explains.
Instead, the state agency states, “The bill added language to Education Code Section 51204.5, which prescribes the inclusion of the contributions of various groups in the history of California and the United States.”
Thomasson argued that the word “prescribe” is “widely understood to be a recommendation, like a doctor’s prescription.”
“Using ‘prescribe’ instead of ‘require’ is deceptive to many readers,” he said. “And to not highlight that the main emphasis of SB 48 is the positive promotion of homosexuality, bisexuality, and transsexuality is serpentine and misleading.”
Further, the state explains the law “added some requirements with regard to instruction materials.”
The state agency says: “Education Code Section 51501 outlines prohibitions on materials included in textbooks or other instructional materials. This section already included prohibitions on matter ‘reflecting adversely upon persons because of their race, sex, color, creed, handicap, national origin, or ancestry’; this bill added ‘sexual orientation’ to the list.”
Thomasson’s analysis said: “How lightly and vaguely the new homosexual-bisexual-transsexual indoctrination is described! Writing that SB 48 ‘added some requirements … this bill added ‘sexual orientation’ to the list’ is an attempt to hide the promotion of homosexuality and bisexuality within an acceptable list of immutable or unchangeable characteristics. And the CDE forgets to inform parents that the legislature’s definition of the word ‘sex’ includes transsexuality, cross-dressing, and ‘sex-change’ procedures.”
A video explains the problem students will face:
Thomasson’s recommendation is for parents to visit RescueYourChild.com, his website that urges parents to remove their children from the control of the public school system and turn to homeschooling, parochial schools or other options.
In addition to SB 48, Thomasson’s organization cites the following problematic laws for California schools:
- SB 543, signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2010, “allows school staff to remove children ages 12 and up from government schools and taken off-campus for counseling sessions, without parental permission or involvement. The purpose is to permit pro-homosexuality teachers and administrators to remove sexually confused children in 6th grade and up from campus and take them to pro-homosexuality counselors who will encourage them to embrace the homosexual lifestyle.”
- ACR 82, approved by the California Legislature in 2010, “creates de facto ‘morality-free zones’ at participating schools (pre-kindergarten through public universities). Schools that become official ‘Discrimination-Free Zones’ will ‘enact procedures’ (including mandatory counseling) against students from pre-kindergarten on up who are accused of ‘hate,’ ‘intolerance,’ or ‘discrimination’.” What is the hate? Peacefully speaking or writing against the unnatural lifestyles choices of homosexuality and bisexuality.
- SB 572, signed by Schwarzenegger in 2009, establishes “Harvey Milk Day” in K-12 California public schools and community colleges. In classrooms, schools and school districts that participate, children will now be taught to admire the life and values of late homosexual activist and teen predator Harvey Milk of San Francisco the month of May.
- SB 777, signed by Schwarzenegger in 2007, prohibits all public school instruction and every school activity from “promoting a discriminatory bias” against (effectively requiring positive depictions of) transsexuality, bisexuality and homosexuality to schoolchildren as young as five years old. SB 777 means children will be taught their “gender” is a matter of choice.
- AB 394, signed by Schwarzenegger in 2007, effectively promotes transsexual, bisexual and homosexual indoctrination of students, parents and teachers via “anti-harassment” and “anti-discrimination” materials, to be publicized in classrooms and assemblies, posted on walls, incorporated into curricula on school websites, and distributed in handouts to take home.
- SB 71, signed by Gov. Gray Davis in 2003 and implemented in 2008 through the new “sexual health” standards approved by appointees of Schwarzenegger and State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O’Connell, teaches children as young as 5th grade that any consensual sexual behavior is “safe” as long as you “protect” yourself with a condom, and teaches children that homosexuality, bisexuality and transsexuality is “normal.”
- AB 1785, signed by Davis in 2000, required the California State Board of Education to alter the state curriculum frameworks to include and require “human relations education” for children in K-12 public schools, with the aim of “fostering an appreciation of the diversity of California’s population and discouraging the development of discriminatory attitudes and practices,” according to the state legislative counsel’s digest.
- AB 537, signed by Davis in 1999, permits teachers and students to openly proclaim and display their homosexuality, bisexuality or transsexuality, even permitting cross-dressing teachers, school employees and student on campus, in classrooms, and in restrooms.
SB 48 takes the state even a step beyond its demand that students in public schools every year honor Harvey Milk, a homosexual activist and reported sexual predator, as well as an advocate for Jim Jones, leader of the massacred hundreds in Jonestown, Guyana.
In honoring Milk, schools are advocating for the acceptance of what Milk sought: the entire homosexual, bisexual and cross-dressing agenda; a refusal to acknowledge sexually transmitted diseases spread by the behavior; his behavior as “a sexual predator of teenage boys, most of them runaways with drug problems”; advocacy for multiple sexual relationships at one time; and “lying to get ahead”; according to SaveCalifornia.com, the leading statewide pro-family organization promoting moral virtues for the common good.
A 1982 biography of Milk tells of a 16-year-old named McKinley, who “was looking for some kind of father figure.”
“At 33, Milk was launching a new life, though he could hardly have imagined the unlikely direction toward which his new lover would pull him,” the book says.
It also states, “It would be to boyish-looking men in their late teens and early 20s that Milk would be attracted for the rest of his life.”
The consequences of refusing to accept the state’s beliefs about homosexuality can be devastating, SaveCalifornia documents.
Thomasson said in a report that he received an email from a parent whose daughter had objected to attending a “gay straight alliance rally to honor Harvey Milk at Moreno Valley High School.”
Said the email, according to Thomasson, “You were right: Our daughter was told she had to attend a gay straight alliance rally to honor Harvey Milk. … She shared she was a Christian with the teacher and only after she saw Lauren was clearly upset about going to this rally did she issue her a hall pass. She was persecuted by another student but made it out of the class. I picked up her and she was very upset. How many other Christians were forced to go to this rally?”
The account from 16-year-old Lauren provided more details, Thomasson reported.
“When she walked into her U.S. History class Monday, May 23, she saw the words ‘Gay-Straight Alliance Assembly – Harvey Milk’ on the blackboard. Her teacher, obviously a pro-homosexuality agenda sympathizer, told Lauren and every other student walking in to go to the assembly. Lauren protested, but the teacher didn’t listen to her at first. Lauren again said she didn’t want to go, and finally the teacher exempted her, but only her,” he said.
“Lauren got out of that one, but her fellow students were corralled into the brainwashing assembly, like cattle going to slaughter, where the homosexual sponsor of the on-campus Gay-Straight Alliance told them how they must support the homosexual-bisexual-transsexual agenda of Harvey Milk. Later, a Muslim classmate told Lauren she wished she had refused to go to the assembly, too.”
The report described how the teacher, several days earlier, had “played several minutes of the R-rated ‘Milk’ film, which showed two homosexual men in bed together.”
“Parents, realize there was NO advance parental notification of this happening or the opportunity to opt out your children. Even more, realize there was no parent permission sought, no opt-in form to sign. No, Harvey Milk sexual indoctrination, and other sexual indoctrination implemented, because of other perverse laws are being done behind parents’ backs and despite parents’ objections,” Thomasson’s report said.