- Text smaller
- Text bigger
Facebook is exploding with dozens of fan pages in support of killer James Holmes that blame society for the murderer’s rampage that has killed 12 and wounded 59 in Colorado – and despite several reports to Facebook from outraged users, the social network has not removed the pages.
Comments from Facebook page creators pretending to be “James Holmes” range from expressions of support for the killer to jokes and even calls for more violence.
An unedited posting on one page states:
“Usually when something like this goes down its people LIKE (society) you, who make people go insane.. I say this is a support page for james holmes.
“How you know hes bad person before for the shooting?
“He was a hard working american just like the rest of us.
“SUpport for you james”
Several visitors on each of the pages said they were reporting the content to Facebook and authorities. WND reported the pages to Facebook as well. The social network had not responded to requests for comment at the time of this report.
Under the section “Violence and Threats,” Facebook’s community standards state: “Safety is Facebook’s top priority. You may not credibly threaten to harm others, or organize acts of real-world violence. We remove content and may escalate to law enforcement when we perceive a genuine risk of physical harm, or a direct threat to public safety.”
After the posts were reported, Facebook sent an email with the following message:
“Thanks for your recent report of a potential violation on Facebook. After reviewing your report, we were not able to confirm that the specific page you reported violates Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.”
Another unedited post under the name, “James Holmes,” declared, “Freedom of speech sucks doesnt it morons!” A third states, “My IP has been traced by morons.” A fourth, “Casey Anthony we should date,” and a fifth states, “Bringing out the devil.”
In yet another post, the page’s creator rages against Christians, declaring, “Christians are losing it yall!” and posting portraits of “Hipster Jesus.”
A second Facebook fan page, “Free James Holmes – He did it for the lulz,” declares, “NERDZ MUST DIE” and features a photo of the suspected shooter with red “666” scrawled across his forehead. Unedited posts by the person who created the page include:
- “Sadly he couldn’t brake the breivik’s record. But he will try again” [referencing Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik, who killed 68 people in 2011]
- “Who wants to see james holmes free and killing more people. … !”
- “Reporting didn’t work butthurt idiots” [referencing Facebook users’ futile efforts to get the social network to remove his page]
A third page features a photo of Batman and has received nearly 250 likes at the time of this report. Those likes were increasing by the minute.
A fourth Facebook fan page posted photos of Holmes and states:
- “Plan on seeing ‘The Dark Knight’? Bring a friend”
- “Columbine? Oh that’s cute.”
- “PIM, PUM, PUM!, HEAD SHOT!!! OWNING!!! KILLING SPREE!! RAMPAGEE!!!!!”
A fifth Facebook fan page for “James Holmes” states:
- “God, that sh-t was intense, we gotta do it again sometime.”
- “Shot a couple ni–ers today, I’m still fly.”
- “I win.”
A sixth page:
- “Batman dies at the end, and so do 12 other people.”
- “I heard The Dark Knight Rises made a killing, might have to go give it a shot.”
A seventh page:
- “I give my props to James Holmes, I mean he killed babies too? He must’ve been a really good shot!”
- “That batman movie…..WAS TO DIE FOR!”