- WND - http://www.wnd.com -
Top conservatives to GOP: Use it (power) or lose it!
Posted By Bob Unruh On 12/03/2012 @ 8:40 pm In Front Page,Money,Politics,U.S. | No Comments
More than 100 conservative leaders from across the nation have dispatched a letter to GOP members in Congress encouraging them to “negotiate from a position of strength” with Democrats regarding the trillions of dollars in tax increases Barack Obama is demanding.
“It’s in the interest of the country and in your personal interest for you to use the power you unquestionably have now to stand firm and not surrender your conservative principles, no matter how loud the clamor of people whose central interests is to advance the left’s agenda,” says the letter.
The letter was signed by Morton Blackwell, chairman of the Weyrich Lunch, Colin Hann of Let Freedom Ring, Ed Meese of the Conservative Action Project, Jim Martin of the 60 Plus Association and Phyllis Schlafly of Eagle Forum, among others.
The separate “No More Red Ink” campaign explains what authority the GOP currently holds as the majority party of the U.S. House, where all national spending bills must originate.
The GOP can decline to authorize an increase in the national debt limit and force billions of dollars in spending cuts, because programs would not legally have money available to run.
Joseph Farah, CEO of WND and originator of the campaign, noted that House Republicans can take such action unilaterally. They wouldn’t need a single Democrat vote, he said.
“It will take only 218 House Republican votes to stop the borrowing next year. And I’m pretty certain Republicans will maintain control of the House and possibly gain control of the Senate next year. That’s why I’m optimistic about the success of this powerful, nation-changing plan,” he wrote.
“Just think what it will mean if, following this campaign of relentless, grass-roots lobbying, Republicans actually live up to their rhetoric about the Constitution and limited government and balanced budgets next year. We can have a balanced budget overnight!”
He also said “unconstitutional and destructive bureaucracies” could be eliminated, such as the Department of Education and the Environmental Protection Agency, Planned Parenthood funding and obscene artwork sponsored by the National Endowment for the Arts.
The letter from conservative leaders isn’t as specific but addresses GOP members of both the House and Senate, warning that they will be tested.
“In the House, the nation elected in 2012 one of the largest Republican majorities in the past 100 years. You have a mandate to fight for conservative principles that is arguably much broader than the one that narrowly reelected President Barack Obama claims to have for his leftist agenda,” the letter continues.
“Of course, House Republicans alone cannot pass a law, but united you can stop any bill which violates the principles you publicly committed to support. In the Senate you have more than enough Republicans to prevent the passage of anything truly harmful to our country.”
While there is building pressure for the GOP to give in to the White House, the letter warns of the results.
“They want to increase federal power, federal spending, federal taxes, federal deficits, and federal debt. They want to give more advantages to their liberal allies and put more federal money into the pockets of their political cronies. They want to undermine further traditional values and to surrender more of our national sovereignty to international bodies. They want to weaken our country militarily and move America more rapidly in the direction of European socialism.”
All Republicans have to do is stand firm, the letter explains.
“If Republicans cave in now, when it really counts, next time you will be weaker, because your conservative base will be outraged. Many who worked hard to elect you in the past will never lift a finger for you again.
“Right now it is generally but incorrectly believed that Republicans aren’t able to negotiate from a position of strength. Of course, this time every element of the left will be in full-throated roar, yelling that the country will collapse if Republicans don’t give in to their demands.”
But standing firm is the solution, the letter says.
“If Republicans provide a consistent, conservative alternative, the time will come, probably sooner than later, when most Americans will become fed up with the left’s failed agenda and be ready for a change to ‘throw the bums out’ and restore limited, constitutional government.”
The signers: (affiliations for identification only)
• Morton Blackwell, chairman, The Weyrich Lunch
• Colin Hanna, president, Let Freedom Ring
• Ed Meese, Conservative Action Project
• Jim Martin, chairman, 60 Plus Association
• Phyllis Schlafly, president, Eagle Forum
• Erick Erickson, editor, RedState
• T. Kenneth Cribb Jr., National Conservative Campaign Fund
• Brent Bozell, president, ForAmerica
• Tom McClusky, senior vice president, Family Research Council Action
• Hon. James S. Gilmore III, president, Free Congress Action
• Gary Bauer, president, American Values
• Michael Farris, chairman, Home School Legal Defense Association
• Preston Noell III, president, Tradition, Family, Property Inc.
• Penny Nance, CEO and president, Concerned Women for America
• Shari Rendall, director of legislation & public policy, Concerned Women for America
• Richard Viguerie, chairman, ConservativeHQ.com
• Al Cardenas, chairman, American Conservative Union
• Ken Blackwell, chairman, Ohio Faith and Freedom Coalition
• Foster Friess
• Tim LeFever, chairman of the board, Capitol Resource Institute
• David N. Bossie, president, Citizens United
• Frank Cannon, president, American Principles Project
• Susan Carleson, president American Civil Rights Union President, Carleson Center for Public Policy
• Lori Roman, Regular Folks United/Rosies Project
• Amy Ridenour, president, National Center for Public Policy Research.
• Mark Fitzgibbons, American Targeting Advertising
• Seton Motley, president, Less Government
• Ginni Thomas, Liberty Consulting
• Phil Kerpen, president, American Commitment
• Cindy Chafian, president, The Mommy Lobby
• Bob Reccord, executive director, Council for National Policy
• Jim Backlin, Christian Coalition of America
• Amb. Hank Cooper, former SDI director
• Rick Scarborough, president, Vision America
• Reverend Lou Sheldon, founder and chairman, Traditional Values Coalition
• Andrea Lafferty, president, Traditional Values Coalition
• Nina May, chairman, Renaissance Women, Renaissance Foundation
• Joseph Farah, editor and chief executive officer, WND.com and WND Books
• Jim Garlow, chairman, Renewing American Leadership Action
• Mathew Staver, chairman, Liberty Counsel
• Deryl Edwards, president, Liberty Counsel Action
• Mandi Campbell, legal director, Liberty Center for law and policy
• Rod D. Martin, chairman, The Vanguard Project
• Kay R. Daly, president, Coalition for a Fair Judiciary
• Tim Echols, chairman, Georgia Public Service Commission
• Elaine Donnelly, president, Center for Military Readiness
• Michael Centanni, chairman, Freedom’s Defense Fund
• Ted Baehr, Movieguide
• Kristan Hawkins, president, Students for Life of America
• Larry Cirignano, Faithful Catholic Citizens
• Stu Epperson, Salem Communications Corporation
• Floyd Brown, president, Western Center for Journalism
• Cullen Davis, Ken W. Davis Foundation
• Ken Timmerman, 2012 Republican Candidate for Congress (MD-08)
• Richard W. C. Falknor, chairman, Maryland Center-Right Coalition
• John Kwapisz, Washington liaison, American Council for Immigration Reform
• Wes Vernon, RenewAmerica.com
• Somers H. White, president, Somers White Co., Inc.
• Roy Stringfellow M.D., Advanced Gynecology, LLC
• Cathie Adams, president, Texas Eagle Forum
• Tammy Kobza , Iowa state director, Iowa Eagle Forum
• Jim Treat, Chairman, BV Tea Party Patriots
• Becky Gerritson, president,Wetumpka TEA Party of Alabama
• Robert K. Fischer, president, Fischer Furniture, Inc.
• Tina J. Benkiser, attorney & counselor at law, former Republican Party of Texas chairman
• Kirk Elliott, Ph.D., TodaysAmerica.com
• Dee Park, chair, Moore TEA Citizens (NC)
• Suzanne (Zan) Green, founder, Rainy Day Patriots
• J. Keet Lewis, Texans for Conservative Principles PAC
• Joshua Charles, Rediscovery Project, William Jessup University
• David Y. Denholm, president, Public Service Research Council
• Harold Sorensen Americans Must Investigate Public Servants
• Lisa Becker, president, Liber8Congress
• Jodi McDade, member, Alabama Republican Party Executive Committee
• Lee A. Beaman, entrepreneur, Nashville, Tenn.
• Joseph Schwartz, North Woods Patriots (Wis.)
• Kim Simac, president, North Woods Patriots (Wis.)
• Kirsten Lombard, organizer, The Wisconsin 9/12 Project
• Seth Morgan, former state representative (OH), Board Member of Citizens for Community Values
• Sidney E. Johnson, M.D. Member Wood County Republican Party Member Central Wisconsin Tea Party
• Ron Hei, Common Sense Tea Party Patriots of Covington County, Ala.
• David Cook, DCC Inc.
• Tricia Erickson, Angel Pictures & Publicity
• Dale Beach, Montgomery Tea Party Patriots (Ala.)
• Sharon Glass, president, Santa Rosa TEA Party President
• Sidney E. Johnson, M.D., member, Wood County Republican Party Member, Central Wisconsin Tea Party
• Becky Hall, president Northern Liberty Alliance(Northern Minnesota/Wisconsin)
• Donna Hearne
• Peggy Dau
• Peter Weyrich (Va.)
• Jeffrey l. Kirschmann
• Janice Shaw Crouse, Ph.D, Beverly LaHaye Institute
• Jeff Gayner, chairman, Americans for Sovereignty
• Ron Pearson, Council for America
• Dr. Day Gardner, president, National Black Pro-Life Union
• Kevin L. Kearns, U.S. Business and Industry Council
• Rich Bott, president, Bott Radio Network
• Dick Bott, chairman, Bott Radio Network
• Gary Aldrich, president, Patrick Henry Center for Individual Liberty; chairman of the board, Council National Policy
• Gary A. Marx, executive director, Faith & Freedom Coalition
• Tim Macy, vice chairman, Gun Owners of America
• Bradley Mattes, executive director, Life Issues Institute
• Dianne Edmondson, executive director, Republican National Coalition for Life
• Keith Mason, president, Personhood USA (Colo.)
• Richard Ford, Heritage Alliance
• Jason Jones, president, Movie to Movement
• Melissa Ortiz, Ms. Wheelchair NY 2005 Founder & Principal Able Americans
• Jim Simpson, freelance investigative journalist
• Terri L. Burl, Forest County Republican Party Media
• Liz Reiten, chair of the Florence County Republican Party
• Chris Martinson, secretary, Wolf River Area Patriots (Wis.)
• Penna Dexter, co-host, “Point of View” radio show
• Todd Dexter, president, Todd Dexter & Associates
• Donald Gaines, founder and local coordinator, Covington County Tea Party Patriots (Ala.)
• Mike Diggs, Tea Party Patriots of North Alabama
• Seth Cowan, president, Wolf River Area Patriots (Wis.)
• Karen Schroeder, president, Advocates for Academic Freedom
• Troy Newman, president, Pro-Life Nation
• Penna Dexter, radio host
• Bob Ellis, American Clarion (S.D.)
• Judson Phillips, founder, Tea Party Nation
• Kelly G. Berry, president, The Madison Institute Association
• Mark D. West, president, Chattanooga Tea Party
• Dave Kramer, Dubuque County Tea party (Iowa)
• Jerry A. Johnson, president, Criswell College
• Bobbie Patray, president, Tennessee Eagle Forum
• Daniel J. Stafford, representative, Walton County Patriots, Florida
• Ken Settle (Wis.), Northwoods Patriots of Eagle River
• Dr. Terry B. Batton, founder and president, Barbour County, Alabama Tax Enough Already Party
• Kirk Hays, North American Jet
• Tearlach F. Sinclair, Menominee County ACE American for Constitutional Enforcement
• Jeffery Horn Prairie Patriots (Wis.)
• Dan Curan
• Jim Coursolle (Wis.)
• Ellen Grigsby
• Dr. William Greene, president, RightMarch.com
• Dr. Shelli Jones Manuel, CEO, Harvest Projects International Inc.; CEO, Resurrect America Show
• Bud LaCoy, Americans for Constitutional Enforcement, Marinette County
Article printed from WND: http://www.wnd.com
URL to article: http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/top-conservatives-to-gop-use-it-power-or-lose-it/
© Copyright 1997-2013. All Rights Reserved. WND.com.