(FOXNEWS) — Reporters and photographers were evacuated briefly from the West Wing of the White House early Saturday because of smoke from an overheated transformer in a mechanical room.

U.S. Secret Service spokesman Max Milien said that at about 7 a.m., smoke was seen coming from a mechanical room closet on the first floor.

“Early this morning, an electrical transformer near the West Wing malfunctioned and set off a smoke alarm in the West Wing,” a White House official said in a statement.

  • Text smaller
  • Text bigger
Note: Read our discussion guidelines before commenting.