(Santa Rosa Press-Democrat) Terry and Shay Weisbrich tucked in Wednesday night feeling grateful and astonished that their Bennett Valley country home was not devoured by a fire ignited by a sunbeam refracted onto the wooden house by the dog’s shiny water bowl.

“It’s a good thing we got to it in time because there’s a pretty good-sized hole burned in the siding,” Terry Weisbrich said.

A flabbergasted Bennett Valley Fire Department engineer, Rene Torres, said he and his colleagues had no idea what had charred a small area of the cedar siding on the house off of Pressley and Sonoma Mountain roads — until he noticed an empty chrome bowl on the deck.

  • Text smaller
  • Text bigger
Note: Read our discussion guidelines before commenting.