(BLOG.SFGATE) — No matter where they live in the United States, citizens can now sponsor a foreign-born same-sex spouse for permanent residence (a green card) as long as they wed legally in a state or country that allows it and have a bona fide marriage, according to immigration experts.

That doesn’t necessarily mean they will get a green card, but they should now be treated just like opposite-sex couples in the immigration system.

Last week’s Supreme Court decision striking down a portion of the Defense of Marriage Act gives same-sex married couples the same federal rights and responsibilities as opposite-sex couples. For some federal benefits and programs, such as taxes and Social Security, the ruling generally applies only to same-sex couples living in states where they can legally marry.

Note: Read our discussion guidelines before commenting.