President Obama’s Department of Justice wants Americans’ tips on Trayvon Martin’s civil rights to build its federal case against George Zimmerman, the man acquitted of second-degree murder charges Saturday.
The DOJ is asking that all tips be sent to Sanford.flori[email protected].
Barbara Arnwine, president and executive director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, told the Orlando Sentinel the federal government is appealing to civil rights groups and community leaders to help build its case.
Tom Perez, assistant attorney general for the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department, held a conference call on the matter Monday afternoon.
Arnwine said FBI representatives and several federal prosecutors were also on the call, along with Sherrilyn Ifill, president and director-counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund; Laura Murphy, Washington chapter head of the ACLU; and several national, state and locally based “human relations” groups.
“They were calling on us to actively refer anyone who had any information,” she told the Sentinel. “They said they would very aggressively investigate this case.”
WND reported Monday that Attorney General Eric Holder vowed to launch a federal civil-rights investigation into the case against Zimmerman.
“Experienced federal prosecutors will determine whether the evidence reveals a prosecutable violation of any of the limited federal criminal civil rights statutes within our jurisdiction, and whether federal prosecution is appropriate,” the Justice Department said.
In a televised address, Holder said, “We must not, as we have too often in the past, let this opportunity pass. We are resolved, as you are, to combat violence involving or directed at young people to prevent future tragedies and to deal with the underlying attitudes, mistaken beliefs and stereotypes that serve as the basis for these too common incidents.”
“And we will never stop working to ensure that in every case, in every circumstance and in every community,” he concluded, “justice must be done.”
Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., and other House Democrats called a press conference Monday to urge the department to “conduct an immediate and thorough investigation,” and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is pressuring the DOJ to continue its probe by posting a petition on the website MoveOn.org.
“The most fundamental of civil rights – the right to life – was violated the night George Zimmerman stalked and then took the life of Trayvon Martin,” the group wrote.
Read today’s full report about the Zimmerman case:
- DOJ wants your tips on Trayvon civil rights
- More evidence ties Martin attorneys to protest agitator
- Obama’s race-baiting on Trayvon ‘political tactic’
- Jeantel admits Trayvon ‘whooped’ Zimmerman’s ‘a—’
- Next Trayvon-style trial? Starts in September
- Zimmermans fear Obama tapping their phones
- Fed case against Zimmerman ‘very unlikely’
- Stunning rescue reported from black mob attack
- Holder, Obama: Sharpton-style race-baiting criminals
Breitbart.com Editor Ben Shapiro called the Justice Department’s new tip line a “desperate attempt to build a case.”
He tweeted: “I have a tip for the DOJ: Stop race-baiting, you tyrannical jackasses.”
Meanwhile, Americans expressed outrage on Twitchy over the DOJ’s tactics:
- “I saw George Zimmerman eating a Wonder Bread sandwich; he’s clearly racist.”
- “Hey Holder, in the ‘infamous words of dear leader,’ you lost; Zimmerman won. Let’s not forget Hillary’s profound words, ‘At this point, what difference does it make?'”
- “Didn’t the Nazis have the Hitler Youth to inform on people for their show trials? Eric Holder has the ‘Civil Rights’ Youth.”
- “Classic witch hunt. DOJ doesn’t have any evidence, so they need us to make some up for them.”
- “Then they better investigate Eric Holder.”
- “That is so un-American that it defies description. Basically, they are looking for anything in his life to use against him.”
- “Flood the inbox with newspaper reports of whites murdered or raped by blacks, since government’s own statistics show that in interracial crime, blacks attack whites many times more than whites attack blacks. … If there’s anyone ‘preying’ on another race, it’s blacks preying on whites. ‘Knock Out King,’ ‘Polar Bear Hunting,’ there are no white equivalents of these ‘games.'”
- “In an ‘unrelated’ case, the DOJ has set up a hotline and special website to investigate all whiteys and ‘creepy a– crackers'”
- “Even the left has got to be upset at this fascist move.”
- “I cannot believe the rioters and their sympathizers can’t see that they are being herded like sheep by the media, Hollywood libs and the government. Nobody should be that gullible.”
- “They want examples of racism? Of black kids getting killed? Time to report Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and all the other racist lefties who spouted off hate after the verdict. And be sure to forward every news article of gang shootings. Make them have to sort through it all to find any ‘tips.'”
- “If Holder put this much effort into doing his actual job, he might not be seen as the joke we all see him as.”
- “Why isn’t the DOJ going after NBC for those doctored 9-1-1 recordings? Or all of those Trayvon ‘supporters’ who made death threats on Twitter and Facebook? … What the hell is going on in this [expletive] country?!”