- Text smaller
- Text bigger
“I thought I knew a lot about lying,” wrote David Kupelian, author of two books on high-level deception, in a recent WND article – “but that was before I met Ion Mihai Pacepa.”
Pacepa, the highest-ranking intelligence officer ever to defect to the West from the Soviet bloc, authored the much-talked-about new book, “Disinformation: Former Spy Chief Reveals Secret Strategies for Undermining Freedom, Attacking Religion, and Promoting Terrorism,” along with historian and law professor Ronald Rychlak.
After a few weeks of brisk sales worldwide, it turns out readers agree with Kupelian: The book is, in the words of reviewers, “revelatory,” “amazing,” “courageous,” “superb,” “life and worldview changing” and “almost beyond comprehension.”
Here’s a sampling what Amazon reader-reviewers are saying:
- Unless you read this book, you have no idea what is going on in the world.
- This book is amazing. So much information that wasn’t revealed when it happened. I wish everyone would read this book and learn the truth about history, and the same patterns that are taking place now.
- A Rare Insider’s View: Anyone who wants to know the truth will love this book. The author was in Khrushchev’s inner circle and was trained in the science of disinformation, a science that is still used today.
- From the first words of the book, I was hooked. The use of disinformation, the deliberate manipulative tactic to create, out of whole cloth, a great lie with the deliberate intention of destroying reputations of men, peoples, races, faith groups, and institutions, is … well … staggering.
- This is a must read! … Some of the big takeaways from this book for me were: Stalin viewed the Catholic Church as his arch-enemy; Communist China was a creation of the Bolsheviks; Liberation Theology was a KGB creation to woo the uneducated peasants in South and Central America; Operation “Aries” was the KGB initiative to spur protests to the Vietnam War and divide the country; the Zionist conspiracy of world domination was a KGB creation introduced to the uneducated people of the Middle East. Pacepa does a meticulous job at developing the techniques of disinformation. Take a kernel of truth, mix in racism, paranoia, covetousness, tribal allegiances, violence and a scapegoat out-group and watch the mayhem.
- The very words of Reagan’s now famous “Evil Empire” speech ring true as I continued to read chapter after chapter with suspended disbelief; Communism equates to evil on myriad levels. Disinformation is the only way the tyrants of the Soviet Empire could prevent the unsuspecting from comprehending its vacuous, immoral horrors of an intellectually bankrupt system of politics, culture and economics. No other book that I have read on this subject is as thorough and rewarding to read.
- While reading Pacepa’s book, I became, at times, physically sick. The evil nature of communism was exposed better than ever before.
- Reagan was completely correct in his characterization of the Soviet Union as being “an evil empire.” The stories contained in this book are almost beyond comprehension.
- Not the first book I have read by a defector from the Communist countries, but a superb book on how they fooled all presidents and our moronic media.
- Great insight into behind the scenes operations. Hands-on author will take you places no one else has. Highly recommended.
- I actually just started this book, but already my eyes have been opened.
- It will absolutely change your life and worldview!!
- Once I started reading, I could not put the book done until I finished it. It answered a lot of questions that I have had. The author is a very brave man.
- General Pacepa’s love and admiration for the U.S. and the freedom that its citizens must continuously fight and sometimes die for, is truly inspiring and heartwarming. The bounties on his head give a sense of how valuable freedom is to those, like the General, who risk their lives for it.
- I now understand why everything is happening in the world the way it is. I am now informed! Great book.
- This book made a lot of things much clearer that I observed during the Cold War period, keeping in mind that I spent 40 years as a soldier (1955-1995), most of which was spent in central Europe defending against that attack by the USSR coming through the Fulda Gap, which thankfully never happened.
- Pacepa obviously has tremendous courage and dedication to write material for which the KGB would just as soon murder him for if they could have their way.
- The book is truly revelatory. To understand the Communist/Socialist world’s use of disinformation is actually both enlightening and frightening, considering the unbelievable amount of calculated deceit that has wrought havoc in our world, which the authors illustrate using example after example from experience and corroborated by extensive research. Historians are limited to public archives, public utterances, analysis of “unclassified” state actions when assessing recent history. To have the perspective of Lt. Gen. Pacepa is invaluable.
- The author’s personal story is very moving to read. A leading figure in the entirely secretive Romanian DIE (subordinate to the Russian KGB) – incidentally the highest ranking intelligence defector we’ve ever had – he details the journey he made to defection, most moving of which is the deep heartfelt love he has for what he calls the greatest nation on Earth and his adopted country of citizenship, the United States of America.
Pursued by assassins
A quarter century ago, in his first book, the international bestseller “Red Horizons,” Pacepa exposed the massive crimes and corruption of his former boss, Romanian President Nicolae Ceausescu, giving the dictator a nervous breakdown and inspiring him to send assassination squads to the U.S. to find his former spy chief and kill him. They failed. On Christmas Day 1989, Ceausescu was executed by his own people at the end of a trial whose accusations came almost word-for-word out of “Red Horizons.”
After courageously defecting to the United States, which he now proudly calls home, Pacepa became a major asset to the Central Intelligence Agency’s efforts to deal with the “evil empire” of the Soviet Union. The CIA has praised Pacepa’s cooperation for providing “an important and unique contribution to the United States,” and President Ronald Reagan (seen below holding Pacepa’s “Red Horizons”) reportedly referred to it as “my bible for dealing with dictators.”
“Red Horizons” was subsequently published in 27 different countries and serialized on Radio Free Europe. (Photo below shows “Red Horizons” gracing the desk of President George H.W. Bush.)
Today, still living undercover in the United States, the man credited by the CIA as the only person in the Western world who single-handedly demolished an entire enemy espionage service – the one he himself managed – is now taking aim at an even bigger target: the exotic, widely misunderstood but still astonishingly influential realm of the Russian-born “science” of disinformation.
Within the pages of “Disinformation,” Pacepa and Rychlak expose some of the most consequential yet largely unknown disinformation campaigns of our lifetime.
Questions answered in the book include:
- How destroying the reputation of good leaders has been developed into a high art and science.
- How Pope Pius XII – a generation ago the world’s most high-profile Christian leader, who personally saved countless Jews from Hitler’s Holocaust – was transformed, through the magic of disinformation, into a Nazi sympathizer.
- How Christianity and Judaism have been targeted for constant denigration and defamation through an ongoing campaign of disinformation.
- How the Soviet bloc planted 4,000 agents of influence in the Islamic world, armed with hundreds of thousands of copies of the most infamous anti-Semitic book in history, to fan the flames of ancient Arab resentments against the U.S. and Israel and sow the seeds of anti-Semitism that would later bloom in the form of violence and terror toward Jews and Christians.
- How the defamatory attacks on American soldiers John Kerry made before Congress upon his return from Vietnam – charges later discredited and repudiated – were identical to a contemporaneous KGB disinformation campaign concocted to turn Americans against their own leaders.
- How supposedly respectable institutions like the World Council of Churches have long been infiltrated and controlled by Russian intelligence.
- How much of the world came to believe that the U.S. government itself masterminded the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
- How the Soviet Union has been transformed into the first intelligence dictatorship in history.
- How disinformation is still very much alive in the age of Obama, remaining a powerful engine in the ongoing socialist transformation of America.
Former CIA Director R. James Woolsey, who wrote the introduction to “Disinformation,” says: “This remarkable book will change the way you look at intelligence, foreign affairs, the press, and much else besides.”
Powerful new film documentary
In addition to the blockbuster book “Disinformation” from WND Books, WND Films has simultaneously released a brand-new, feature-length (120-minute) companion film titled “Disinformation: The Secret Strategy for Destroying the West,” written and directed by Emmy-winning filmmaker Stan Moore.
Besides dramatically profiling the life and revelations of Lt. Gen. Ion Mihai Pacepa, the two-disc DVD documentary features new interviews with many experts, including co-author Ronald Rychlak, former CIA chief James Woolsey, author David Horowitz, Lt. Gen. Jerry Boykin, U.S. Congressman Frank Wolf, historian Michael Ledeen, journalist Arnaud de Borchgrave, defense analyst Frank Gaffney, Nina Khrushcheva, great-granddaughter of Nikita Khrushchev, deputy undersecretary of defense Jed Babbin, assistant secretary of defense Richard Perle, former FBI agent Wayne Barnes, WND Managing Editor David Kupelian and others.
The film documentary dramatically depicts how disinformation – the evil “science” of deception that so disastrously shaped our world during the last generation – is still very much alive in the current generation under Barack Obama.