After defending Obamacare from the vilest of insults from angry citizens, a former Democrat congressional aide says that she’s finally given up and admitted that she was wrong.
What prompted the turnabout?
Sue Klinkhamer is one of an estimated millions who, contrary to President Obama’s famous promise, has received, or is about to receive, a policy-cancellation notice.
After getting hers in the mail, she fired off an email to her former boss, Rep. Bill Foster, D-Ill., and other Democratic colleagues, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
Klinkhamer wrote: “I spent two years defending Obamacare. I had constituents scream at me, spit at me and call me names that I can’t put in print.”
She explained that her boss was not re-elected in 2010 largely because of voter opposition to Obamacare.
Nevertheless, Klinkhamer said she defended Obamacare after she lost her job, “because it would make health care available to everyone at, what I assumed, would be an affordable price.”
“I have now learned,” she wrote, “that I was wrong. Very wrong.”
The individual policy she bought three years ago on the open market after losing her job was $225 a month with a $2,500 deductible.
The premium rose each year, she said, and was $291 with a $3,500 deductible as of Sept. 1.
A few weeks ago, she said, she received a letter from Blue Cross stating her current coverage would expire Dec. 31.
Her new options from Blue Cross were a plan with similar benefits for $647.12 or one for $322.32 but with a $6,500 deductible.”
“Blue Cross also tells me that if I don’t pick one of the options, they will just assume I want the one for $647,” she said.
“Someone please tell me,” Klinkhamer asked, “why my premium in January will be $356 more than in December?”
Her former boss, Foster, has since been returned to Congress.
Asked for comment by the Sun-Times, he said: “A very large number of people are very grateful” for Obamacare.
Meanwhile, the White House finally admitted Monday that the law is killing off health insurance policies. NBC News further reported the administration knew it would happen as long as three years ago.
As WND reported last week, owners of individual health-insurance policies already have received more than 1 million cancellation notices, according to a compilation of news reports.
Health-policy expert Bob Laszewski has concluded that about 16 million Americans will lose their current plans because of Obamacare.
Laszewski explained that about 19 million Americans are in the individual health insurance market.
“Because the Obama administration’s regulations on grandfathering existing plans were so stringent about 85 percent of those, 16 million, are not grandfathered and must comply with Obamacare at their next renewal,” he said.
The 16 million, he said, will receive letters from their carriers saying they are losing their current coverage and must re-enroll to avoid a break in coverage.
“Most of these will be seeing some pretty big rate increases, he said.
Health insurers have explained that many of their plans will no longer exist next year because they do not cover all the essential benefits required by the Affordable Care Act.