(ABC News) The widow of a Florida man who died from a gruesome infection says the seawater bacterium “creeped through his body like acid.”

Henry “Butch” Konietzky, 59, is believed to have contracted vibrio vulnificus while crabbing along Central Florida’s Intracoastal Waterway with his wife, Patty. The microscopic bug, which belongs to the same family as cholera, lurks in murky seawater along the Gulf Coast.

“I never heard there was even a bacteria in the water,” said Patty Konietzky, recalling how her husband thought he’d been bit by a spider before heading to bed. He woke up hours later with pain coursing through his legs. “He felt like there was some sort of burn on his ankle.”

  • Text smaller
  • Text bigger
Note: Read our discussion guidelines before commenting.