Some Halloween partiers at a Chicago bar have sparked outrage by posing as the bloodied crew of this year’s Asiana plane crash in California, using racially insensitive names mistakenly aired by a San Francisco news station.
The revelers were making fun of the tragic July 6 incident, as Asiana Airlines flight 214 crash-landed at San Francisco International Airport, killing three and injuring dozens.
In perhaps one of the strangest on-air bloopers of all time, KTVU-TV misidentified the four pilots of a fatal Asiana plane crash using bogus and racially offensive names.
Anchor Tori Campbell read the names accompanied by a graphic with the phony names listed alongside a photo of the burned-out plane. The names were said to be:
- Sum Ting Wong
- Wi Tu Low
- Ho Li Fuk
- and Bang Ding Ow.
Now photos reportedly taken at the Sidetrack Video Bar in Chicago show men wearing shredded flight-crew outfits and bloody make-up, along with badges with the phony names of the crew.
The Angry Asian Man blog claims the men in the photos may be "actual flight attendants" for Continental/United Airlines.
"I really hope they don't show up to work dressed like this on Halloween," the blogger noted.
United Airlines issued a statement Wednesday, saying, "We hold our co-workers to the highest standard, and we are carefully reviewing this matter."
Another photo from Instagram displays a man at the MontBleu Casino and Resort in Lake Tahoe posing in a captain's hat and a bloody, tattered shirt with "Capt. Sum Ting Wong" on the front and "Capt. Wi Tu Lo" and "Ho Lee Fuk" on the back.
Reaction online is mixed, ranging from complete outrage to congratulatory messages and hearty laughter:
- "This is disgusting, people actually died there."
- "Out of ALL the possible Halloween costumes, these bozos picked the ones associated with a tragedy? Insensitive fools!"
- "Call me sick but I thought this was funny."
- "I know it's in really bad taste because of the victims and the trauma experienced by those on board, but it did make me chuckle, just very very briefly, it escaped from my mouth, just like that. And now I have a feeling of guilt."
- "Hahaha wow man. I have friends who might literally try to fight you if they saw this, I say it's the best costume I've seen this year!"
- "They're HALLOWEEN COSTUMES, worn by adults, on their OWN TIME. Get over it."