Editor’s note: Chuck Norris’ weekly political column debuts each Monday in WND and is then syndicated by Creators News Service for publication elsewhere. His column in WND often runs hundreds of words longer than the subsequent release to other media.
This is Part 2 in a series on the Obama administration’s efforts to force the Little Sisters of the Poor to violate their faith by offering contraception and possible abortion-inducing drugs.
In Part 1, I pointed out how the Internet watchdog PolitiFact crowned the promoter-in-chief’s sound bite for Obamacare as “The Lie of the Year for 2013”: “If you like your health care plan, you can keep it.”
I also made a prediction that among his top 10 falsehood contenders for 2014 will be a reversal of what he emphatically stated back on Sept. 9, 2009, when he first came into office: “Under our [health-care reform] plan, no federal dollars will be used to fund abortions.”
I showed how Obama has repeatedly broken that promise already over the past few years. But a coup de grâce came when Obamacare mandated nonprofit companies and other religious-affiliated institutions across the country to provide contraception and possible abortion-inducing drugs in their employee health-care plans.
As Fox News explained, “The policy is among the law’s most contentious provisions because it exempts churches that oppose contraception but requires religious-affiliated organizations, such as colleges or hospitals, to provide the coverage for their workers.”
That is why, in the latter part of 2012, a group of nuns – the Little Sisters of the Poor – appealed to Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor for help on behalf of their care facility for the elderly because Obamacare was forcing them into an ethical dilemma in which they must violate their faith or pay fines.
And so on New Year’s Eve, just a day before the provision in Obamacare was to be forced upon them, too, Justice Sotomayor blocked the requirement upon the nuns in order to look into the matter further.
In response to the nuns’ appeal, the U.S. Department of Justice immediately argued in legal papers filed a couple weeks ago that the nuns didn’t have a leg to stand on. The Obama administration tried to explain that the nuns don’t have to offer contraception – including possible abortion-inducing drugs – as long as they sign a government form that delegates the action to a third party. But for the nuns’ religious conviction, whether they offer the contraception or sign a waiver for another to do so is simply sin. And yet, without signing that “self-certification” form, the nuns would incur steep government fines.
At the point of this article’s publication, it is still unknown when Justice Sotomayor will rule on these ludicrous government actions and violations of the nuns’ personal religious liberty and constitutional rights.
But what is most illuminating about the rise of the nuns’ perilous and oppressive situation is the utter silence of President Obama, who has often stood up for progressive minorities who were being crushed by bullying. As U.S. News on NBCNews.com reported about the nuns’ crisis, “The White House’s reaction was muted.”
The reason is because Obama knows his administration and health-care law is intentionally shoving back against the nuns’ convictions and, indeed, the very power of the Catholic Church – a huge advocate for the rights of the unborn. Obama is waging war against the Catholic Church and other religious-based organizations to see just how much he can choke the wind out of their contraceptive and abortion beliefs and enforce government control over their conscience.
Their faith crisis is a nonprofit ecclesiastical replay of what happened with the for-profit companies in 2012: Hobby Lobby, Mardel Christian Stores and a Pennsylvania woodworking company, all of which refused to comply with Obamacare’s mandate to provide birth control based upon the owners’ religious beliefs to do so. But with the nuns, Obama is anteing-up against religious nonprofits.
Indeed, the very constitutional religious rights of every American are being represented and trampled in the nuns’ case and Obama’s power play. As go the nuns, so go us.
If our president won’t value and honor life in the womb, please write or call your local, state and federal representatives and let them know where you stand. And then ensure your local community of faith is honoring Sanctity of Human Life Sunday on Jan. 19, 2014. The day commemorates 41 years since the Jan. 22, 1973, Roe v. Wade U.S. Supreme Court that legalized abortion in our country. Since then, more than 55 million abortions have taken place in the U.S.
Here are a few ways you can prepare for Sanctity of Human Life weekend:
- Ask your pastor, priest or rabbi how your parish is observing Sanctity of Human Life Sunday (Jan. 19) by fighting for the life and rights of the unborn.
- Please also read the article, “50 ways to help unborn babies and their mothers,” by our friend and prolific author, Randy Alcorn, one of a host of great resources at his website, EPM.org. Also get several copies of Randy’s booklet, “Why Pro-Life?” and hand them out to others.
- Visit the website started by our dear friends, Norm and Anne Miller, I Am Second website. In particular, please listen to the powerful testimony of Lisa Luby Ryan. It is well worth your time in viewing.
- Watch online the former Planned Parenthood Director (Bryan, Texas) and “Employee of the Year,” Abby Johnson, who blew the whistle on her former employer by telling the shocking truth about everything she saw inside the abortion industry – and why she resigned her job to join the pro-life movement. Johnson helped to expose the multi-billion dollar marketing of abortion in Episode 5 of the Emmy award-winning, “Facing Life Head On,” available to watch online. Also check out Johnson’s new book, “Unplanned,” which details her exposure of Planned Parenthood.
- I am also honored to fight for human life in the chapter, “Reclaim the value of human life,” in my New York Times best seller, “Black Belt Patriotism,” which is available at ChuckNorris.com and a free chapter from which can be obtained at ChuckNorrisNewBook.com.
- Most of all, remember the words of the English orator Edmund Burke, which are probably more true in our day than when he stated them in his: “Evil flourishes when good men do nothing.”
(In Part 3, I will unveil what Obama’s abortion agenda is for the remaining of his presidency)