It was the mispronunciation heard ’round the world.
During Sunday night’s broadcast of the Academy Awards, veteran actor John Travolta butchered the name of singer Idina Menzel, whom he was introducing before her performance of the Oscar-nominated song “Let It Go” from the Disney movie “Frozen.”
Travolta introduced her as “the wickedly talented, one and only Adele Dazeem.”
The actual pronunciation is more like “Uh-deen-ah Men-zelle.”
Travolta has already commented on the error, saying: “I’ve been beating myself up all day. Then I thought…what would Idina Menzel say She’d say, Let it go, let it go! Idina is incredibly talented and I am so happy Frozen took home two Oscars Sunday night!”
Now, a brand-new online program created by Slate.com is sparking a fun craze to “Travoltify” any name.
“When John Travolta called Idina Menzel ‘Adele Dazeem’ at the Oscars, he created a new standard for superstardom,” say Chris Kirk and Jim Festante of Slate. “You’re no one until you’ve had your name mangled by a confused, squinting John Travolta.”
“What’s your Travoltified name? Find out with our handy widget!” they continued, as readers are encouraged to enter any name and find out how Travolta might mangle it.
For instance, if John Travolta is entered, the resulting Travoltified pronunciation is “Jan Thozomas.”
WND entered the names of some famous Americans, and compiled the following list of their Travoltified names:
- Barack Obama = Brandan Orteez
- George Washington = Grace Warshington
- Ronald Reagan = Richard Reegers
- Joe Biden = Jude Brazent
- Hillary Clinton = Holly Cozzins
- George Soros = Grace Spermons
- Ted Cruz = Todd Creez
- Rand Paul = Ray Pay-ne
- Chris Christie = Craig Crarter
- Sarah Palin = Seonaidh Palmzer
- Bill O’Reilly = Brooke Orteez
- Sean Hannity = Syed Hazmaton
- Megyn Kelly = Morven Keezy
- Greta Van Susteren = Gemma Bruwn
- Donald Trump = Dawid Tufker
- Rush Limbaugh = Rose Lezwis
- Glenn Beck = Grace Blork
- Michael Savage = Marcel Sgardner
- Billy Graham = Brody Grazaham
- Tom Cruise = Theo Cloirk
- Matt Drudge = Mollie Draw
- Joseph Farah = Jonah Freezmaz
- Peyton Manning = Phoenix Morzgan
- Kanye West = Katie Weezt
- Kim Kardashian = Keir Keeneedia
- Bruce Jenner = Brooke Jerrdan
- Scarlett Johansson = Sameer Johnzon
- Miley Cyrus = Molly Cozzins
“I literally … can’t stop laughing at the hot mess that was Jorm Tramolta’s intro to Adele Dazeem for the film ‘Brozen,’” tweeted “Parks and Recreation” star Retta, referring to the movie “Frozen.”
“My Travolta name is Roxy Doogle,” tweeted Rosie O’Donnell. “What’s yours?”
A Twitter account with the handle @adeladazeem went up immediately after the mistake and has almost 20,000 followers.
The Los Angeles Times published a photo of Travolta backstage at the Osacars scrutinizing a piece of paper.
“Is it a pizza menu? A script page? And if so, is he studying the name before he went out on stage? Or perhaps examining it after the fact to see what went wrong? ”
The newspaper is now soliciting creative captions from the public for that photograph.
Travolta’s flub has also been immortalized in a cartoon on YouTube, as the legendary star of “Saturday Night Fever” is depicted having a little more difficulty than he did at the Oscars:
NOTE: The following cartoon contains an obscenity at the end.