“Maryland legislators stand against LGBT activists to protect children”
That is the Feb. 18 headline from Liberty Counsel, a nonprofit public-interest law firm and ministry that provides free legal assistance in defense of Christian religious liberty, the sanctity of human life and the traditional family.
Liberty Counsel, nationally headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., is headed by attorney Mathew Staver, who, on Feb. 18, issued the following statement:
- “Liberty Counsel’s defense of minors and their counselors won another victory when the Maryland House Health and Government Operations Committee canceled a hearing on a change therapy ban.”
- “Earlier this year, a legislative committee in Virginia struck down a similar bill, and the Ninth Circuit ruled that California’s ban on change therapy will not go into effect until the high court acts on Liberty Counsel’s petition to overturn such bans.”
- “In what has been called a top priority for LGBT activists during the 2014 legislative session, legislators in Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin have introduced legislation that bans youth from receiving counsel to overcome unwanted same-sex attractions, behavior and identity. Liberty Counsel filed suit after similar bans were passed in California and New Jersey.”
- “Liberty Counsel is communicating with these state legislatures, but if legislation passes in other states and minors and counselors ask for our help, we will file lawsuits similar to our suits in California and New Jersey.”
- “‘Change therapy bans are a flagrant violation of a client’s right to self-determination,’ said Staver. ‘The teens we represent do not want to act on same-sex attraction, nor do they want to engage in such behavior. They have asked for our help because they are greatly benefiting from change therapy. Their self-esteem and their relationships have improved.’”
- “Liberty Counsel commends legislators in Maryland and Virginia for their courage in standing up against political pressure and ideology, and instead protecting children’s rights to determine what kind of counseling they desire.”
The Southern Poverty Law Center lists Liberty Counsel as being one of 12 groups comprising an “anti-gay crusade.” Liberty Counsel also devotes its time to fighting against same-sex marriage, civil unions and adoption by homosexuals.
The Southern Poverty Law Center is a hard-left-wing organization, which like most or all of its kind have had little or nothing to say about supporting polygamy and polyandry.
But that raises the question, which is for the most part nationally unanswered: Why are the LGBTers virtually silent on all the additional sexual orientations such as polygamy – not to mention coprophilia, exhibitionism, incest, necrophilia, urophilia and bestiality?
Media wishing to interview Les Kinsolving, please contact email@example.com.