Talk about a rock of salvation.
A New England pastor says divine intervention saved his church building from being crushed by a massive, rolling boulder unearthed by nearby construction blasting.
“If it rolled another 12 inches, it would have gone right through the building,” said Rick LeClair, pastor at Grace Ministries Church in Saugus, Massachusetts. “This boulder was probably 20 tons.”
Raw video of the near-disaster:
According to Boston TV station WCVB, an excavation company was clearing land adjacent to the church last week, and one blast sent a giant rock on the move.
“That’s not good,” says a construction worker taking cell-phone video of the blasting, as the boulder rolled up to the church.
“Missed it by one foot!” shouts another inspecting the near-disaster. “That is unbelievable.”
“You have got to be sh—ing me,” laughs another.
“We were standing across the street saying, ‘Uh-oh. There it goes,'” LeClair said. “I was thinking the church was going to get wrecked, but I had this peace about me where it really wasn’t going to get wrecked. And it didn’t.”
LeClair told the station he had a feeling God became directly involved in preventing the stone from rolling any further.
“The Lord just kinda said, ‘That’s enough,'” he said.
Watch WCVB’s coverage of the boulder:
WCVB reports Grace Ministries feeds thousands of Massachusetts people from its own food pantry, which could have been lost in an instant.
“It would have probably closed us down, but it didn’t,” LeClair said.
The video has attracted a variety of comments online, including:
- “When J.C. said to his apostles, ‘Upon this rock I will build my church,’ he wasn’t referring to this one. I’d say, the rolling rock made a timely stop.”
- “A rolling stone gathers no mosque. Or church, it seems.”
- “Didn’t know that physics and gravity went by the name of this God you are speaking about.”
- “What bonehead decided to think it was a good idea to have a blast that close to a dwelling? Too lazy to jackhammer it, I guess.”
- “Why didn’t the divine intervene to help this jackass hold his phone in landscape mode?”