It’s a question that’s been asked many different ways over the years:
- What would the world be like without America?
- What would the world be like without Israel?
- What would the world be like without God?
- What would the world be like without George Bailey?
The question of what the world would be like without America is raised again in Dinesh D’Souza’s new movie, “America: Imagine the World Without Her” – a followup to his hit “2016,” which turned out to be quite conservative in its projection of how bleak things could look if America didn’t make a political change of course in the last presidential election.
It’s safe to say the world would be a darker place without America, without Israel and without George Bailey. Without God, of course, there would be no world. So that’s unimaginable except in the imaginations of people like John Lennon and Richard Dawkins.
But here’s one to ponder: What would America be like without Barack Hussein Obama?
It’s another way to ask yourself the question: Are you better off now than you were five and a half years ago?
I’d love to see what a reputable pollster would find on this question today.
I’ll share my answer. Maybe you’d like to weigh in.
I’m no utopian. America was far from perfect before Obama moved into the White House. But I think it’s safe to say that, as president, Obama has made America worse in every possible way.
I’m not going to mention all the scandalous policies and reckless behavior. Today we’re going to look at the forest, not the trees.
- Liberty: America is supposed to be a land “with liberty and justice for all.” Of course, that has never been true. It’s an ideal that we tried to live up to, always falling short of the mark as human beings do. But has the cause of liberty and justice been advanced under Obama? Far from it. America has become, more than ever before, a nation where liberty and justice are on the retreat – if not targets of all-out attack. Even the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously ruled last week that Obama overstepped his authority in making recess appointments when Congress was not in recess. Keep in mind, two of the justices on the high court were appointed by Obama. The rule of law is under assault. Americans are treated differently based on what color their skin is, what sex they are, what socio-economic bracket they fall within and what they believe. Critics of Obama are treated more harshly than enemies of America. The government assumes more power by the day, leaving the rights of the individual and the once-sovereign states powerless.
- Economy: Obama came to power promising to rescue America from a staggering economy. Instead, he has only managed to make things worse. More people out of work … more dropping out of the workforce altogether … young people unable to get their first job – something new to the American experience.
- Spirit: What about that ethereal factor of the spirit of America? Would anyone dare suggest that it is improved over what it was five and a half years ago? I really doubt it. Is anyone more fulfilled, more inspired, more optimistic about the future, more pleased with the present?
I’m just asking the question.
It wasn’t asked often enough during the presidential election in 2012 – though, admittedly, the descent of the country into lawlessness, tyranny, economic peril, international crisis and spiritual malaise has worsened rapidly since then.
But it was all quite predictable.
The handwriting was on the wall.
The signs were everywhere.
A book that might have had an impact on that election if the media and Republicans would have consulted it – “Fool Me Twice: Obama’s Shocking Plans for the Next Four Years Exposed” – was instead ignored. It turns out to be prophetic for history buffs.
The good news is there are only two and a half more years to learn the answer to the question of what America will be like without Barack Hussein Obama.
It’s time to start imagining how great it can be again.
Media wishing to interview Joseph Farah, please contact [email protected].