(NYTIMES) — The Really Useful Group, the production company of Andrew Lloyd Webber, said Tuesday that it was taking legal action against Michael Cohl, the main promoter behind a failed tour of “Jesus Christ Superstar” that was scheduled to play in North America this summer.

The new production of Mr. Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice’s rock opera about the final days of the life of Jesus was rehearsing in New Orleans at the end of May in preparation for a tour of more than 50 cities, when it was abruptly canceled before it could play a single show.

Mr. Cohl said at the time that ticket sales had been disappointing, and that “it just did not make business sense to continue.” The tour’s eclectic cast included Michelle Williams of Destiny’s Child, Brandon Boyd of Incubus and Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols, and Mr. Cohl had estimated that the tour’s total cost was in the range of “eight figures.”

  • Text smaller
  • Text bigger
Note: Read our discussion guidelines before commenting.