In the aftermath of Monday night’s rioting and looting in Ferguson, Missouri, there’s a question as to why the National Guard was not deployed to quell the violence, and some are speculating President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder may have encouraged the lack of action.
“Somebody wanted this to happen,” declared radio host Rush Limbaugh on his national broadcast Wednesday.
“The ongoing theory is that the White House or Washington – the DOJ, Eric Holder – called the governor of Missouri, Jay Nixon, and told him not to deploy the Guard. Because it looks like they were ready to go. They had been called up and they were placed on ready status. And then they were not used. And the feeling is that the order came from some high authority in Washington not to deploy them. I don’t know why.
“It is a mystery as to why. Speculate is about all we can do. Why would the DOJ, why would Holder, why would Obama not want the Guard in position to stop some of this? Based on everything we know now, why would that be preferred?”
Limbaugh added: “We all knew what was coming. It was scripted. Nobody made a move to stop it! The cameras were in place. The media was in place. The only question was: How many cars will burn? How many stores will be destroyed? How many Molotov cocktails? Just how big the destruction? No effort to stop it. The media didn’t want it stopped. It was great programming. That’s why I say get the cameras out of there and a lot less of this kind of crap goes on but that’s never gonna happen either.”
President Obama himself, speaking to the nation from the White House after a grand jury cleared Officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of Michael Brown, said, “There is inevitably going to be some negative reaction, and it will make for good TV.”
As numerous businesses were being looted or razed Monday night, Ferguson Mayor James Knowles told the local Fox affiliate: “I’ve requested the National Guard troops to come out from their command post to help restore order along the business district. We have not seen that … Those calls have gone unheeded at this point … We need to have the governor step up and give us the resources that he’s promised from the beginning. He said he would have a strong response. The resources necessary would be provided. They have not been provided so far.”
Tuesday morning, Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder, a Republican, asked if the Obama administration pressured Gov. Nixon, a Democrat, to ignore pleas from the mayor to send in the Guard.
“He (Gov. Nixon) declared a state of emergency almost a week ago and mobilized the National Guard. Then they were kept away at the crucial time while Ferguson burned,” Kinder said.
“We know they were kept away because they did not come in and stop that from the get-go. They were deployed in other parts of the St. Louis region … . Why were they not in there at the first sign of an overturned police car or a smashed police car window with a show of force that would have stopped this?
“Here’s my question that the governor must answer: Is the reason that the National Guard was not in there because the Obama administration and the Holder Justice Department leaned on you to keep them out? I cannot imagine any other reason why the governor who mobilized the National Guard would not have them in there to stop this.”
Watch video of Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder:
Wednesday, Kinder pushed on with his concern, telling radio host Laura Ingraham he suspected someone in the Obama White House – Valerie Jarrett or Holder – of pressuring Nixon to have the Guard stand down.
The majority of stores damaged or completely destroyed during Monday’s riots in Ferguson were minority owned, reports KMOV-TV.
Some of the stores suffering severe damage include Walgreens, Little Caesar’s Pizza, Autozone, Beauty Town, Title Max, Family Dollar Store, and O’Reilly Auto Parts.
Media outlets showed cake-shop owner Natalie Dubose in tears when she realized vandals had attacked her small business.
Dubose, a mother of two, previously told CNN, “If I can’t open my doors every morning, I can’t feed my kids in the evening. Just don’t burn my shop down, don’t destroy it.”
On Wednesday, things were looking up for her as she received more than $113,000 in online donations to rebuild.
Dubose started a crowdfunding campaign, and her donors include “The Middle’s” Patricia Heaton and “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” star Brandi Glanville.
“Thank you to actresses Patricia Heaton and Brandi Glanville for supporting me!” Dubose wrote on her page. “I must have missed thousands of other tweets, and I’m so sorry I can’t mention them all. The sweet lady who offered money from her social security check brought me to tears … Thank you to EVERYONE for the kind words, prayers, and emotional support.”