Editor’s note: Following is the “Introduction” to David Kupelian’s new book, “The Snapping of the American Mind: Healing a Nation Broken by a Lawless Government and Godless Culture.” In it, the author of “The Marketing of Evil” and “How Evil Works” reveals what “the fundamental transformation of America” really means.
“The progressive left under Obama,” writes Kupelian, “is accomplishing much more than just enlarging government, redistributing wealth, and de-Christianizing the culture. With its wild celebration of sexual anarchy, its intimidating culture of political correctness, and its incomprehension of the fundamental sacredness of human life, it is also, whether intentionally or not, promoting widespread dependency, debauchery, family breakdown, crime, corruption, depression and addiction.” The book, now skyrocketing up the Amazon charts, focuses on real solutions and healing.
America, like all nations, has endured its share of mega-crises. We’ve had military conflicts that claimed the lives of hundreds of thousands; economic disasters, like the Great Depression, that left millions destitute; disease pandemics, including the Spanish flu, which killed 675,000 Americans; catastrophic earthquakes and other natural disasters; and, of course, the 9/11 terror attacks. We’ve also endured serious social upheaval, including a devastating Civil War!
Yet we Americans, a resilient and optimistic lot, have always persevered and ultimately prevailed – a truism borne out by every generation’s near-sacred mission to leave their exceptionally blessed nation a better place for their children and grandchildren.
Today, however, many fear those days are over, and that naught but trouble lies ahead.
It’s not just the daunting array of current geopolitical threats – wars, terrorism, de facto invasion by millions of illegal immigrants, unpayable national debt and economic disintegration, “1984”-style surveillance, and a palpable and ever-increasing loss of freedom – all causing high anxiety over an uncertain future. It’s also a growing conviction that government itself, whose primary reason for existence is to protect its citizens, has instead become Americans’ greatest nemesis.
To be sure, the American political scene has always been tumultuous, rife with raucous criticism of government and the president. A few decades ago, Richard Nixon became so mired in scandals, “enemies lists,” and “dirty tricks” that he had to resign. And Jimmy Carter openly acknowledged the nation’s “malaise” and “crisis of confidence” in response to his appeasing and spectacularly inept leadership.
In the 1990s, a scandal-plagued Bill Clinton, though not convicted, was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice. Yet with Barack Obama, America has been thrust into an entirely new and almost surreal realm. For no other occupant of the White House, however controversial or unpopular, has ever inspired such a widespread conviction among the populace that a sitting American president and wartime commander in chief actually hates the very nation he was elected to lead and is sympathetic toward her enemies.
Indeed, Americans seem shell-shocked by a president superficially depicted as incompetent, oddly disconnected, and blinded by ideology, but who upon closer examination can be seen invariably pursuing some deep and unspoken anti-American, anti-commonsense impulse in addressing every crisis confronting the republic. Moreover, as we shall soon see, many of those crises have been purposely created by Obama and his administration to advance a largely concealed agenda.
This daily roller coaster of scandals and crises, as well as the multiple threats facing the nation during (and often because of) Obama’s presidency, would be daunting enough. But add to them a pervasive and wantonly perverse culture that celebrates mindless narcissism and wild sexuality while openly mocking God, morality, and the overarching transcendent sacredness of life that preserved our national soul in previous eras. The result is that Americans today are being affected by political and moral chaos in unprecedented and transformative ways.
Indeed, America is undergoing the progressives’ long-promised “fundamental transformation,” and it’s not a pretty sight. That much everyone knows.
But what few seem to realize about this “transformation” is that the sheer stress of living in today’s upside-down America is literally driving tens of millions to the point of illness, depression, despair, addiction, and self-destruction in a multiplicity of guises.
Consider the following trends:
- Suicide has surpassed car crashes as the leading cause of injury death for Americans. Even more disturbing, Stars and Stripes reports that more active-duty U.S. soldiers have been dying by suicide than in combat.
- Shocking new research from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that one in five of all high-school-aged children in the United States has been diagnosed with ADHD, while a large study of New York City residents shows, sadly, that one in five preteens – children aged six to 12 – have been medically diagnosed with either ADHD, anxiety, bipolar disorder, or depression.
- Equally alarming, one in 10 girls reportedly engages in “self-harm” in the form of “cutting” their bodies with a knife or razor, while New York’s state Department of Health reports that “self-inflicted injuries, such as cutting, burning, and pinching, are the second leading cause of hospitalizations due to injury for children ages 15 to 19 years.”
- Fully one-third of the nation’s employees suffer chronic debilitating stress, and more than half of all “millennials” (18- to-33-year-olds) experience a level of stress that keeps them awake at night, including large numbers diagnosed with depression or anxiety disorder.
- New research also concludes that stress renders people susceptible to serious physical illness, and a growing number of studies now confirm that chronic stress plays a major role in the progression of cancer, the nation’s second-biggest killer. Of course, the biggest killer of all, heart disease, causing one in four deaths in the U.S., is also known to have a huge stress component.
- Incredibly, eleven percent of all Americans aged twelve and older are currently taking antidepressants—those powerfully mood-altering psychiatric drugs with the FDA’s “suicidality” warning label and alarming correlation with mass shootings. Women in their 40s and 50s are especially prone to being diagnosed as depressed, with 23 percent of them – almost one in four – now taking antidepressants.
- Add to that the tens of millions of users of all other types of psychiatric drugs, including, for example, the 6.4 million American children between 4 and 17 diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Ritalin or similar psycho-stimulants. Throw in the 28 percent of American adults with a drinking problem – that’s more than 60 million – plus the 24 million using illegal drugs like marijuana, cocaine, heroin, hallucinogens, and inhalants, and pretty soon a picture emerges of a nation of drug-takers, with well over a hundred million of us dependent on one toxic substance or another, legal or illegal, just to get through life.
- And Americans aren’t addicted just to drugs and alcohol, but, it seems, to everything: Enormous numbers of men, women, and children are addicted to online pornography (85 percent of young men and nearly 50 percent of young women reportedly watch porn at least once a month). That may be why an astonishing 110 million Americans currently have a sexually transmitted disease.
Food addiction is also rampant, with one in three American adults clinically obese, and more than one in six of the nation’s youth.
By the way, things are no better across the pond – and may even be worse. One major study concluded that almost 40 percent of Europeans are plagued by mental illness.
What on earth is going on? Why isn’t medical science – and for that matter, all of our incredible scientific and technological innovations in every area of life – reducing our stress and lightening our load?
Why doesn’t the almost-magical availability of the world’s accumulated knowledge, thanks to the Internet, make us more enlightened and happy? Why is it that, instead, more and more of us are so stressed-out that we’re on a collision course with illness, misery, tragedy, and death?
Most important, what can we do to reverse course? Is that even possible?
‘He wants people to snap’
“Life is difficult,” wrote psychiatrist M. Scott Peck at the outset of his international best seller, “The Road Less Traveled.” Stress, difficulties, disappointments, accidents, disease, misfortune, cruelty, betrayal – they’re unavoidable in this life.
Yet, during eras when society and families are stable, unified, and fundamentally decent and moral – as, say, America during the 1950s and early ’60s – the stress level for each person is minimized, or at least not vastly compounded by a perverse society. Conversely, when, as is the case today, we have widespread family breakdown, a depraved culture that scorns traditional moral values, a chaotic economy, and a power-mad government dominated by demagogues and seeming sociopaths, the normal stresses of life are vastly multiplied.
Worse, subjecting Americans to unbearable stress, conflict, and crisis by Team Obama is not only intentional – it is strategic. Remember, these people are revolutionaries (engaged in “bringing about a major or fundamental change,” as Merriam-Webster puts it). They are utterly committed to replacing one societal structure – America’s constitutional, limited-government, free-enterprise system – with another – a socialist, wealth-redistributionist system run by an all-powerful government.
Such radical change cannot be accomplished while Americans are calm, happy, content, and grateful for their blessings. Citizens must be unhappy and stressed-out. Indeed, widespread popular discontent has always been the required fuel for the leftist transformational engine.
Just reading a few pages into Saul Alinsky’s leftist playbook, “Rules for Radicals,” one encounters repeated confirmation that the very heart of radical “change” is keeping the populace angry, encouraging their grievances, stoking their resentments, and making sure they are continually upset. That is the primary psychological dynamic of “community organizing” – and since 2009 America has been led by a community organizer in chief and longtime master practitioner and instructor in Alinsky’s Far-Left agitation methods.
Top radio talker Rush Limbaugh picked up on this normally unspoken aspect of Obama’s modus operandi when he told his radio audience, “I think he wants people to snap. I think Obama is challenging everybody’s sanity. … The more chaos there is, the more requirement there is for him to step in and control the chaos.”
Commenting on Obama’s sudden obsession with employing every means possible to deny law-abiding Americans their constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms, Limbaugh exclaimed, “Obama is literally pushing people to snap, attacking the very sanity of the country. … I mean, all of this is so in our face. Everything that people hold dear is under assault, deliberately making people upset! This is not what presidents do.”
It’s not what presidents do – unless they happen to be leftist revolutionaries, in which case “deliberately making people upset” is precisely what they do to accomplish their intended “fundamental transformation.”
Fox News analyst Chris Stirewalt alluded to the same phenomenon when he commented on “The Kelly File,” “I might even submit that this is part of an [Obama] administration strategy which says the crazier, the angrier, the madder they can make Republicans … the better.”
And best-selling author-columnist David Limbaugh put it this way: “One may reasonably wonder whether the militant left in this country is solely dedicated to manufacturing issues to keep the nation in a constant state of uproar, angst and disharmony.”
This book will present the case that not only are such allegations true, but keeping Americans in a constant state of uproar, angst, and disharmony constitutes an absolutely essential component of the Far Left’s transformation of America.
This process has been ongoing and long precedes Barack Obama. Indeed, Americans could not have chosen as their leader someone as transcendently unworthy of the presidency as Obama without first having allowed their minds and hearts to be captured. Through constant indoctrination, intimidation, and emotional manipulation (as well as being continually rewarded once they have “converted”), a sizable part of the American electorate, to one degree or another, has been programmed over the course of decades by a subversive school system, an equally perverse “news” establishment, and a shameful and degrading culture.
Of course, at the very nucleus of the myriad assaults on traditional America is the rejection – at least by society’s elites – of God and the repudiation of the Judeo-Christian values that have long undergirded our civilization. This in turn has led to pervasive societal disintegration and a Pandora’s box of endless and unimaginable problems.
What we’re about to discover together in this book is that not only are we undergoing a “fundamental transformation of America,” but another transformation even more profound, that of Americans themselves. And that, it turns out, was the real object all along.
But not to worry. We will also explore creative and sometimes outside-the-box strategies for righting the American ship of state, as well as living well in a dangerous and utterly unpredictable age. And we’ll survey the very best, most proven and effective ways to rise above the stress and chaos that seem increasingly to dominate what once was a unified and supremely influential superpower – and even more important, a good, decent, and happy country.
SPECIAL OFFER: Get your copy of David Kupelian’s “The Snapping of the American Mind: Healing a Nation Broken by a Lawless Government and Godless Culture” – autographed and personalized – at a special discount at the WND Superstore!
Also, get Kupelian’s culture-war bestseller, “The Marketing of Evil” – now available in paperback – and the acclaimed sequel, “How Evil Works,” also in paperback – all available, autographed by the author, at the WND Superstore!