- WND - http://www.wnd.com -

Charges to be dismissed in Phoenix freeway-shooting case

(ABC News) The man authorities have described as the Phoenix freeway shooter who terrorized the city last year received a huge victory when prosecutors decided to dismiss all charges — for now.

Jerry Cobb, spokesman for Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery, said that the office filed a motion to dismiss the charges, which include carrying out a drive-by shooting, without prejudice against Leslie Merritt Jr.

“In conjunction with (the Department of Public Safety), we have identified additional forensic investigation that needs to be completed in order for the case to proceed,” Cobb said Friday.

This action will allow them “the necessary time” to file charges again, Cobb added. He declined to comment further.