WASHINGTON, D.C. – Hillary Clinton is guilty of “dereliction of duty” for her actions before, during and after the terrorist attack that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11, 2012, according to a report released Wednesday by a citizens group that features many former military and intelligence officials.
The Citizens’ Committee on Benghazi, CCB, released its final report on Wednesday at the National Press Club in Washington.
Leadoff speaker Clare Lopez, vice president for research and analysis at the Center for Security Policy, criticized U.S. Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., chairman of the House Select Committee on Benghazi, for not holding Clinton and the State Department under her direction responsible for the Benghazi attack.
Lopez said Clinton “wielded cross-border authority as the terrorist attack in Benghazi unfolded.”
“Why didn’t she request the deployment of U.S. military resources that stood ready to launch a rescue mission the CCB concluded we now know could have reached Benghazi in time to thwart the attack and save American lives?”
The truth is even worse than what you thought. “Hillary: The Other Woman,” the explosive new book exposing the horrible history of Bill and Hillary Clinton. Available now at the WND Superstore.
Lopez charged Clinton’s role in the Benghazi debacle was “pivotal.”
She said that under Clinton’s leadership, the State Department “changed sides” in the war on terrorism in Libya.
“Secretary Clinton knowing undertook a foreign policy to abet and assist the Muslim Brotherhood, a direct enemy of the United States in the Middle East, to come to power across Northern Africa and in particular in Libya,” Lopez said.
Clinton instructed the State Department “to abandon Moammar Gadhafi, an ally of the United States who had given up his terrorist ambitions, deciding to change sides, implementing a policy to facilitate the deliver of weapons to the al-Qaida-dominated rebel militia seeking to oust Gadhafi from power.”
“That was the origin of the terrorist attack in Benghazi.”
‘My son would still be alive’
Charles Woods, father of Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods, who died in the final hours of the attack, also spoke.
“My son and the rest would still be alive if there were any attempt made at a rescue,” Woods insisted. “Ty, as a Navy SEAL, had been in many difficult situations, and it was in his DNA to expect a rescue mission in Benghazi.
“I want to know who was responsible for my son’s death,” he demanded.
Woods said the problem is that President Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Defense Secretary Leon Panetta have changed their stories multiple times.
“The Obama administration has either withheld key documents or destroyed them,” he said.
‘Cover-up bigger than Watergate’
Retired Lt. Gen. Thomas McInerney, a CCB member, addressed from a military perspective why the Obama administration failed to launch a military rescue mission during the Benghazi attack.
“The military resources available in Italy should have been on alert on Sept. 11, 2012, just knowing the significance of 9/11 to radical Islamic terrorists,” McInerney insisted.
“So we had no pre-planning of the possibility of a terrorist attack in the region on that day and while the attack was underway no U.S. military assets were moved into action. At least a fly-by over Benghazi could have been arranged, with F-16s using full after-burners that could have dispersed the terrorists and ended the attack.”
McInerney demanded to know where President Obama was during the Benghazi attack.
“The Obama administration is terrified yet today that the truth about what happened at Benghazi will come out,” he insisted.
“The truth is Benghazi involved a dereliction of duty by both Secretary Clinton and President Obama. Then, Clinton and Obama engaged in a cover-up, aided by the mainstream media, bigger than Watergate.”
Gowdy ‘copped out’
Retired Adm. James “Ace” Lyons joined in the attack on the House Select Committee on Benghazi, contending that Gowdy “copped out.”
“Gowdy was there as chairman of the select committee with the charge to find out who was responsible, and he failed to do so,” Lyons said.
Lyons agreed with McInerney that it was the responsibility of the U.S. military to have been prepared for a terrorist attack in Benghazi on Sept. 11, 2012.
“My gut tells me the U.S. commanders in the region were professional, and I’m confident they would have done their duty to be prepared for a terrorist attack in Benghazi, given the intelligence that was available before the attack,” he explained.
“What happened the night of the attack?” he asked. “I am confidant someone told the U.S. military not to deploy to Benghazi as the attack unfolded. This is more than incompetence or a dereliction of duty. The terrorist attack at Benghazi was un-Americans. We just don’t refuse to come to the assistance of American military under attack.”
Lyons insisted that as head of the State Department, Clinton was “running the show” in Benghazi.
“The State Department had a clear choice in Benghazi,” he insisted. “Hillary Clinton had a choice – either beef up security at the Benghazi compound or close it down.
“Hillary Clinton did neither.”