It was the latest in a string of dozens of such attacks in recent months across Europe.
As with most of the other attacks, it was immediately dismissed by authorities as being carried out by a “mentally sick” man. The suspect, a native of Algeria, tried to grab the officer’s weapon and when the attempt failed, he took a knife and slashed her throat.
The officer, whose condition is unknown, was taken to the hospital with multiple injuries.
The attack took place in the Rempart Saint-Etienne prefecture of Toulouse. The assailant, 31, had a psychiatric disorder and attacked the officer because she “represented France,” La Depeche du Midi news outlet reported, adding that the attacker was of Algerian origin.
The knife attack in France comes just three days after a 26-year-old man has been detained after stabbing a picnicking couple in western Germany, as WND reported Monday.
The victims said he was shouting “Allahu Akbar!” as he stabbed them.
And, exactly as has been the pattern in a multitude of recent stabbing sprees across Europe, the Muslim perpetrator is being handled as a psychiatric case.
Oberhausen police say the suspect was overpowered by one of his victims, a 57-year-old man who was seriously injured in the late Saturday attack. The other victim, a 66-year-old woman, suffered life-threatening injuries, Fox News reported.
Anti-Shariah activist Pamela Geller wrote about the attack in her blog Tuesday and led off with a quote from the Quran [8:12]:
“I will cast terror into the hearts of those who have disbelieved, so strike them over the necks.”
Geller wrote that it was “another sudden outbreak of ‘mental illness.’ The idea that authentic Islam, pure Islam is psychotic wreaks of islamophobic prejudice, don’t you think?”
“The media buries the lead, of course,” she added. “The Algerian Muslim stabbed the police officer because she ‘represented France.’ He sounds quite lucid (and devout) to me.”
Geller also noted that Toulouse is the site of the monstrous Muslim attack on a Jewish day school. Muhammad Merah opened fire on school children and their rabbi.
Below is a list of knife attacks just in the last two months, not including jihad attacks using guns, bombs or vehicles:
- On Aug. 24 in Cairo, Egypt, the state news agency says a knife-wielding attacker was shot and killed after he stabbed a guard at a Coptic church. The attack happened early Wednesday at the Virgin Mary church in Cairo’s western suburb of Nozha. The report says other church guards at the scene killed the assailant, “whose identity and motives were unclear.” Attacks on Coptic churches in Egypt have stepped up over the past years, especially after Coptic Christians sided with the Egyptian army in the military’s 2013 ouster of the Muslim Brotherhood-backed President Mohammed Morsi.
- On Monday, Aug. 22, it was reported that police shot and wounded a woman in Brussels after she spread panic by stabbing bus passengers, injuring two seriously and a third lightly, the city’s public prosecutor’s office confirmed. The incident had nothing to do with terrorism, according to Belgium authorities, who blamed it on mental illness. They did not release the woman’s name, saying only that she was “Asian” and shouted something unintelligible as she hacked the commuters.
- On Aug. 20 at an apartment community in Roanoke, Virginia, 20-year-old Wasil Farooqui grabbed a butcher knife and went on a stabbing spree, seriously injuring two, while repeatedly yelling, “Allahu Akbar!” He told police he heard voices telling him to stab people.
- On Aug. 19 in Strasbourg, France, an Orthodox Jewish rabbi was attacked near his home in broad daylight and left hospitalized by a knife-wielding Muslim yelling, “Allahu Akbar!” The incident was immediately scrubbed by French police as “not terrorism related” in what has become a pattern across Europe, Canada and the United States.
- On Aug. 13 in Jeman, north-central Nigeria, at least seven were slaughtered in a Christian village by Fulani Muslim herdsman using machetes and guns. “The Christians were killed in their homes,” Golkofa resident Sunday Saleh told Morning Star News. “Some of the victims were shot while others were cut with machetes.”
- On Aug. 13, a man killed a female passenger and injured at least five others in a horrific knife and fire attack on a Swiss train. The set the train ablaze with a flammable liquid and could not be questioned before he died. Authorities said the man was born in a neighboring region but did not release the man’s name or his ethnic or religious background.
- On the night of Aug. 13-14, two people were killed and six wounded in a machete attack in an eastern region of Democratic Republic of Congo where Islamic rebels have been blamed for a series of civilian massacres against Christians. The Allied Democratic Forces or ADF, an Islamist armed group of Ugandan origin, is accused of carrying out the brutal slayings.
- On Aug. 6, a man with a knife and shouting “Allahu Akbar!” launched himself at two policewomen in the Belgian city of Charleroi. The perpetrator, who inflicted serious facial wounds upon one of his targets, was then fatally shot.
- On Aug. 3 in London, a Muslim man stabbed to death the wife of an American professor on the busy Russell Square, injuring five others. The perpetrator was an 18-year-old Muslim man of Somali origin who had been resettled in Norway but, again, British authorities said they had “no evidence of radicalization” and attributed the attack to mental illness.
- On Aug. 2 in Gada Biyu, Nigeria, nine Christian villagers were cut down by Muslim terrorists who also burned three churches.
- On Aug. 1 at about noon in Ninte, Nigeria, two Christian women were hacked to death by Muslim herdsman. “They cut them with machetes. A woman and her daughter in-law were killed by the Fulani herdsmen while the man is still in the hospital as I talk with you,” an eyewitness told Morning Star News.
- On July 26 two ISIS terrorists entered a Catholic church in the northern French province of Normandy while a mass was in progress. They forced the elderly priest to his knees on the altar and slit his throat, filming the entire attack. A nun was also left fighting for her life, and more would have been killed if one nun had not escaped the church and called police, who arrived and shot the attackers dead.
- On July 19 in Wuerzburg, Germany, it was reported that a 17-year-old Afghan refugee attacked people on a train with an ax and knife, injuring nearly 20 passengers, four seriously. The Afghan boy fled the train but was chased and shot dead by police. The Muslim teen’s motive was “not yet clear,” the BBC reported.
- On July 18 in central Egypt a Muslim mob attacked a group of Coptic priests and their families with knives and batons, killing one and wounding several others. The attack came months after an armed Muslim mob stripped an elderly Christian woman and paraded her naked on the streets while looting and torching seven Christian homes in the same area, security officials said.
- On July 15 in Nice, France, a man planned to hack to death mourners as they were praying at a memorial service for the 84 victims of a jihadist named Mohamed L. Bouhlel, a French Tunisian immigrant who drove a truck through a crowded promenade on Bastille Day. The perpetrator, a Muslim, was caught by cops carrying a “huge blade” as he approached the crowded prayer vigil. Cops are said to have pounced on the man who one witness reported was carrying a “machete.”
- On July 9, a female pastor was hacked to death close to Nigeria’s capital, Abuja. Police arrested six suspects believed to be Muslim.
- On June 30 in the town of Obi, in the central Nigerian state of Nasarawa, a father of seven, Rev. Joseph Kurah, was ambushed by two armed men after he arrived at his farm. His severely mutilated body, hacked to death, was later recovered from the scene. Fulani Muslim herdsmen are suspected in the killing, according to WorldWatch Monitor.
- On June 30 in Israel, a 17-year-old Palestinian stabbed and killed Hallel Yaffa Ariel while she was sleeping in her bedroom in the West Bank settlement of Kiryat Arba. The assailant was fatally shot by security guards. That same day, a Palestinian assailant stabbed two Israeli civilians in Natanya, north of Tel Aviv and was shot dead by an armed civilian.
- On June 16. a “radicalized” 22-year-old Islamist was arrested by police in southwestern France with a knife and machete in his possession. He planned to attack “English and American tourists, then security forces,” according to French reports.
- On June 13. a police officer and his wife were killed inside their home in what police called an ISIS-inspired knife attack near Paris, the Independent reported.