A law student at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland who supports President Trump is now under investigation for “Islamophobia” after he mocked ISIS in a Facebook post.
Robbie Travers, 21, posted the following comment to Facebook in April after the U.S. Air Force dropped the “mother of all bombs” on an ISIS tunnel network in Afghanistan:
“Excellent news that the U.S. administration and Trump ordered an accurate strike on an ISIS network of tunnels in Afghanistan. I’m glad we could bring these barbarians a step closer to collecting their 72 virgins.”
After Travers made the comment, second-year history student Esme Allman accused him of “blatant Islamophobia.”
Now Travers is being investigated by the university for a “hate crime” because his post allegedly put “minority students at risk and in a state of panic and fear,” the U.K. Independent reported. There has been no police investigation.
Allman’s complaint stated: “Not only do I believe this behaviour to be in breach of the student code of conduct, but his decision to target the BME Liberation Group at the University of Edinburgh, and how he has chosen to do so, puts minority students at risk and in a state of panic and fear while attending the University of Edinburgh.”
On Aug. 24, Travers explained on Facebook: “Afraid I’ve been a little more quiet as I have been accused of Islamophobia because I mocked ISIS, and I’m being investigated on such a ground by my University. Mocking ISIS allegedly made Islamic and minority students feel ‘threatened’ and ‘unsafe,’ so goes the complainant’s ramblings. Have engaged legal advice to dismiss this nonsense. Wish me luck.”
In a comment on his own post, Travers continued: “Apparently, from the way the complaint is structured, my legal team are [sic] telling me that the individual complaining alleges that being a member of IS[IS] is a ‘protected characteristic.'”
Travers told the Independent that Allman complained about his ISIS post in retaliation after he noted that she had called black men “trash” and also said “all men are trash.”
A university spokesman reportedly confirmed an investigation is being conducted into Travers’ comments, telling the Independent: “We are committed to providing an environment in which all members of the university community treat each other with dignity and respect and our code ofBoynton
student conduct sets out clear expectations of behaviour.”
Traver’s Facebook comments about the case drew more than 125 comments, including the following:
- Why is it “Islamophobic” to mock a proscribed terror group with whom our armed forces are actively engaged in multiple theatres?
- University is a breeding ground for these arse particles and their fascist debate closing tendencies.
- Don’t let the bastards grind you down, Robbie.
- So ISIS has absolutely nothing to do with Islam, but Muslim students are offended when you mock them. OK.
- Getting offended on behalf of ISIS and attending university should be mutually exclusive.
- World has gone mad. Any students who feel bad about someone mocking ISIS need investigation. You do not.
- Obviously the fact that they “feel threatened and unsafe” is more important than the “feelings” of all the people who have died or been injured by Muslims – every single act of terrorism. Good luck and [I] hope that you are cleared.
- Get it out in the media. These universities need to be exposed.
- Countersue. Whoever made the complaint should be charged with Islamophobia for identifying all Muslims with ISIS.
- If you’re being investigated for that, then you’re doing something right.
- Good luck, Robbie. The terrorist apologists are just trying to shut you up. Don’t let them!
- It’s surely a sign our culture & society is in decline when as citizens we can face legal censure or be reprimanded by institutes of learning for mocking those who want to murder us & drive over our children in the streets.
- Far be it from me to profile anyone, but I get a strong vibe that whoever lodged this complaint is probably already featured on a no-fly list.
- So now condemning Islamic terrorists is “Islamophobic”? The UK has had it. Will the last person to leave please switch off the lights?
- Tell them Americans kill ISIS, for fun.