Vanessa Trump, the daughter-in-law of the president, was taken to a hospital in New York City Monday after she found a white powder in a letter she had opened.
Authorities said the New York Police Department and the Secret Service were investigating the incident involving Vanessa Trump, the wife of Donald Trump Jr.
WABC-TV in New York reported the letter, addressed to her husband, was delivered to the couple’s East 54th Street residence.
Vanessa Trump opened the letter just after 10 a.m., and “she and two other people were decontaminated by firefighters at the scene and taken to a nearby hospital for evaluation,” the report said.
The New York Daily News said there were no “complications,” but she was evaluated at New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center. Later reports said there was no danger, with some sources identifying the powder as cornstarch.
Donald Jr. is the eldest child of the president and ex-wife Ivana.
Two other people also were at the scene and also were evaluated.
Two years ago, emergency responders rushed to Trump Tower in Manhattan, when Trump was the Republican presidential front-runner, on reports of a suspicious white powder in the mail room.
The powder eventually was deemed harmless, but not until offices were evacuated as fire department, emergency medical services and police investigated. The letter was opened by a worker.
It wasn’t the only time the Trump campaign was threatened with suspicious white powder.
The previous March, Eric Trump, the 32-year-old son of the billionaire businessman, received an envelope containing white powder and a note that read: “If your father does not drop out of the race, the next envelope won’t be a fake.”
And just a couple days after that, another threatening message was sent to Maryanne Trump Barry, Trump’s sister, who serves on the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit in Pennsylvania.
Police generally take envelopes containing white powder as serious threats. In 2001, several envelopes mailed to newsrooms contained anthrax, and five people died after being exposed.