Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Wednesday that documents related to the failed Fast and Furious federal gun-running program that former Attorney General Eric Holder kept hidden are going to be released.
Katie Pavlich at Townhall noted Holder was voted “in civil and criminal contempt of Congress” for his actions.
Obama invoked executive privilege in June 2012 to prevent the release of the documents after the courts had said they could be publicized.
The DOJ said Wednesday the documents will be turned over to the House Oversight Committee.
“The Department of Justice under my watch is committed to transparency and the rule of law. This settlement agreement is an important step to make sure that the public finally receives all the facts related to Operation Fast and Furious,” Sessions announced.
The release is part of the settlement of a federal case that stemmed from the Obama administration’s refusal to share the information with Congress.
The Fast and Furious plan was to allow highly specialized weapons to be sold so they could be traced to Mexican drug-cartel leaders.
But the Obama administration lost track of many of the weapons, and some were used in murders, including the slaying of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.
In a Fox News interview, Terry’s brother called on the Trump administration to reopen the investigation into the operation and to release previously withheld documents.
“We need to find out the truth, exactly what happened, how it happened, why it happened. We need Mr. Trump, President Trump, to unseal the documents, reverse executive privilege so that we know what happened, and that we can hold the people accountable that are responsible,” Kent Terry said.
Brian Terry died at the hands of Mexican cartel members in December 2010. They were carrying guns illegally trafficked by ATF to Mexico through the Fast and Furious program.
The operation trafficked “thousands of AK-47s,” as well as .50 caliber rifles.
WND reported two years ago that the failed sting operation was linked to an additional 69 deaths, including a massacre in which 22 died, in addition to the 200 deaths in Mexico alone that were reported in previous years.