Quest Software, Inc. (now a part of Dell) enables organizations to clear significant hurdles associated with Windows 7/8 migrations by identifying the top rules for streamlining the process, while reducing costs and corporate risk. Companies often underestimate the major obstacles caused by application compatibility issues brought on by Windows migrations, which can involve laborious, time-consuming manual processes. While every organization—regardless of size—has different variables that can affect migrations, a core set of requirements for preparing, planning, organizing, and implementing the process remains the same. As a leader in application compatibility and a known, trusted partner in Windows 7/8 migrations, Quest has drawn upon its extensive experience in performing migrations worldwide, to develop 10 rules for avoiding undue cost and risk by leveraging best practices for application compatibility, automation and virtualization.
Ten Rules for a Streamlined Windows 7/8 Migration:
Plan the migration ─ Scope and assess the project to get a clear understanding of cost, resources and time required.
Rationalize the application list ─ Retiring older, incompatible versions and consolidating where possible means IT doesn’t spend valuable resources migrating what isn’t needed.
Don’t forget the “unmanaged applications” ─ they can be the silent killers of any migration.
Conduct application compatibility assessment as early as possible; accurate results help ensure that rationalization decisions are sound.
Automate where ever possible ─ Don’t assume all steps in the migration will be performed in one clean swoop; automation is the only way to ensure that any step that is repeated is consistent, which can save up to 50 percent in time and costs needed for migrations.
Don’t neglect Web applications ─ More and more mission-critical apps depend on Web applications. Since Windows includes Internet Explorer, successful migrations require the resolution of any issues around Web-based applications early.
Build automated application assessment into the existing packaging service so new apps will stream in throughout the migration, improving user experience significantly while saving weeks to months on the migration project, as well as needed budget.
Virtualize applications ─ Usable apps are portable apps, so, in today’s mobile and remote work environment, applications should be virtualized to ensure they are available when and where users need them.
Be prepared for multiple build changes ─ Know that as the migration project progresses, the Windows build will undergo change. This understanding will enable greater agility and responsiveness to change, which leads to faster, smoother migrations.
Have a plan for how to complete User Acceptance Testing (UAT) ─Leveraging desktop virtualization speeds and streamlines user acceptance testing, which results in more satisfied users and IT organizations, alike.
Leveraging Application Compatibility Assessment and Automation to Shave Migration Time and Cost
- By adding automation and broad platform support, organizations are able to effectively adopt technology that lets them turn virtually endless cycles of change into key opportunities to introduce new efficiencies and better business alignment.
- Quest ChangeBASE™ now delivers a market-leading ability to reduce the risks associated with Windows 7/8, Office 2010, Windows Server 2008/2012, IE 9/10 or Firefox, and virtualized application migration by allowing organizations to leverage faster application compatibility assessment, automated testing, remediation and packaging, and seamless application virtualization.
New features of the latest version include:
- More automated conversion to virtual applications ─ New extended capability allows easy conversion of EXE/MSI applications to virtual applications on App-V 5.0 and Citrix XenApp Streaming Profiler. ChangeBASE now supports conversion to all major application virtualization solutions (App-V, SWV, ThinApp and XenApp Streaming Profiler).
- More supported platforms for conversion of applications on virtual machines ─ Simplifies and speeds conversion of applications into virtual applications or MSI on all main platforms, including Hyper-V and VMware Workstation.
- Extended support of automated imports using SCCM 2012 ─ Speeds and simplifies import of applications into ChangeBASE via the latest corporate-wide Configuration Manager supplied by Microsoft.
- Supporting Quote:
Ann Maya, senior product manager, User Workspace Management business unit, Quest Software
“There is no denying the opportunity for cost savings and improved user productivity afforded by Windows migrations; but, Windows 7 and 8 migrations can be prolonged and difficult if they aren’t handled correctly. The need for simplicity and speed in these projects is felt by companies worldwide. Quest has taken everything we’ve learned from years of experience assisting with hundreds of migration projects, plus our expertise in application compatibility, to create this set of rules for making Windows 7 and 8 migrations faster and easier. The newest version of our ChangeBASE application compatibility tool further facilitates ease and speed in Windows migration projects with the injection of unique automation and platform support.”
- Quest Software, Inc.: http://www.quest.com/
- Webinar: Key Application Compatibility Considerations for Migrating to Windows 8 https://www.quest.com/common/login.aspx?backtourl=%2fcommon%2fregistration.aspx%3frequestdefid%3d48451
- Quest ChangeBASE: http://www.quest.com/changebase
- More Quest news: http://www.quest.com/newsroom/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/quest
- Facebook: http://www.quest.com/facebook
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/
- Quest TV: http://www.quest.com/tv/
About Quest Software (now a part of Dell)
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. Quest, now a part of Dell’s Software Group, provides simple and innovative IT management solutions that enable more than 100,000 global customers to save time and money across physical and virtual environments. Quest products solve complex IT challenges ranging from database management, data protection, identity and access management, monitoring, user workspace management to Windows management. For more information, visit http://www.quest.com or http://www.dell.com.
About Dell Software
Dell Software helps customers of every size take advantage of new technologies and address organizational challenges to grow their businesses and remain competitive. For more than a decade, Dell has been making strategic software acquisitions and partnering in the industry to support and enable the hardware and services solutions it provides to customers. In 2012, Dell formed a dedicated software division to extend its capabilities in software IP and total solutions offerings. Dell security, systems management, business intelligence and application software draw on the strength of Dell’s distribution capabilities and reputation to help clients in every industry achieve better business outcomes.
- Quest news releases: http://www.quest.com/rss/news-releases.aspx
Dell is a trademark of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
Quest, Quest Software, and the Quest logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Quest Software in the United States and certain other countries. All other names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Nasdaq quotes delayed at least 15 minutes, all others at least 20 minutes.
Markets are closed on certain holidays. Stock Market Holiday List
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Press Release Service provided by PRConnect.
Stock quotes supplied by Telekurs USA
Postage Rates Bots go here