Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder signed a legislation that prohibits Michigan companies and educational institutions from asking their workers and students for personal login information for social media networks like Facebook. Here you can find official release. Why it’s not always a good idea to put anything and everything online – ask Randi Zuckerberg???
The legislation “House Bill 5523″, introduced by state Rep. Aric Nesbitt, R-Lawton, Under the new law, Michigan employers can’t discipline employees or decline to hire job applicants for refusing to surrender social media account information “including user names, passwords, login information, or other security information that protects access to a personal internet account.” Violation of the law qualifies as a misdemeanor, punishable by fines of no more than $1,000.
“Cyber security is important to the reinvention of Michigan, and protecting the private internet accounts of residents is a part of that,” Snyder said in a press release. “Potential employees and students should be judged on their skills and abilities, not private online activity.”
“Let’s get the parameters out there,” said Rep. Aric Nesbitt, who introduced the legislation. “Lets demonstrate there are limits.” Nesbitt said he worked with various groups on the law. Michigan State University, for example, wanted language that said the university owns the @msu.edu email addresses, he said. Some businesses wanted language to reflect that some companies are prohibited from having social media accounts.
- Rule applies not only to companies, but also to a public or private educational institution.
- An employer can’t ask an employee or an applicant for employment to grant access to personal internet account.
- Earlier this year, Delaware banned public and private schools from requiring students’ social media account information.
- California also passed a such a law in september that barred companies from asking its workers to surrender their social media account passwords.
Do you think The Michigan social media privacy law is just too little, too late? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.
- Top 10 most dangerous cities in U.S. based on the number of violent crimes
1. Flint, Michigan - located along the Flint River, the city reported 2,337 violent crimes and 83 forcible rapes per 100,000 per 100,000 people. The national average is 26.8 forcible rapes per 100,0…
- Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act or CISPA goes far beyond its stated purposes
Controversial legislation, Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (HR 3523) or CISPA goes far beyond its stated purposes, would permit Internet companies to hand over confidential customer reco…
- How a marketing genius like Randi Zuckerberg was entangled in a privacy mess?
To understand what had happened in Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s sister How Randi Zuckerberg and how she was entangled in a privacy mess? —- “It’s complicated”. It all started when R…
- The Complete Guide to Internet Security and Privacy Issues!
The search kingpin later relented in the face of criticism on the ban, and eventually changed its data retention policy to saving search strings for 18 months before deleting them.. Google do not dele…
- Why so much buzz about Dropbox a Web-based file hosting Start-up- Terms Of Service?
Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily has revised its terms of service to make it more clear to users how it uses your data. Dropbo…
- Top Most Popular Technology News Related and Best eBusiness Websites Reviews
1) CNET News – CNET shows you the exciting possibilities of how technology can enhance and enrich your life. We provide you with information, tools, and advice that help you decide what to buy and how…
The post Do you think The Michigan online social media privacy law is just too little, too late? appeared first on CEOWORLD Magazine.
Nasdaq quotes delayed at least 15 minutes, all others at least 20 minutes.
Markets are closed on certain holidays. Stock Market Holiday List
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Press Release Service provided by PRConnect.
Stock quotes supplied by Telekurs USA
Postage Rates Bots go here