With the rising popularity of Samsung’s Galaxy and Note, the South Korean electronics giant, Samsung Electronics has posted a record net profit for the fourth quarter at US$6.6 billion. Net profit was up by 76 percent from the previous year.
The South Korean IT giant, Samsung, world’s largest maker of mobile phones, TVs and computer-memory chips, is one of the most aggressive spenders of the tech industry is now forced to keep a lid on spending.
Samsung Electronics and Apple Inc. together make more than half the world’s smartphones. However, Samsung’s memory chip business contributed $1.3 billion in operating profits, a 39 percent quarterly increase.
Huawei’s rise may have broader implications, can Samsung and Apple defend their dominance in the global smartphone market? Please share your opinion below.
Based on the latest research — For the very first time China’s Huawei Technologies Co. coming third in terms of market share.
- Samsung’s global smartphone market share in the 4th quarter was up to 29% from 22.5% a year earlier.
- Apple’s global smartphone market share has dropped to 21.8% from 23%.
- Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd’s global smartphone market share was up to 4.9% from 3.5%
- Sony Corp share was up to 4.5% from 3.9%
- ZTE Corp. came 5th with 4.3%.
A Senior Research Analyst with IDC’s Mobile Devices Technology and Trends team, Ramon Llamas suggested, “The fact that Huawei and ZTE now find themselves among the Top 5 smartphone vendors marks a significant shift for the global market,”Recommended posts:
- Bit strange, Apple almost never wins outside the US in ongoing patent saga with Samsung
Got my popcorn ready… In the lucrative mobile market, the world’s top two smartphone makers, the Cupertino, Calif.-based technology giant Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics, are engaged in worldwide…
- Will they, or won’t they, ship cheap Apple iPhone for the masses?
In the land of Apple iPhone rumor and conjecture, Reuters has withdrawn a report, which quoted an interview with the Apple marketing chief, Phil Schiller in the Shanghai Evening News, leaving Apple wa…
- China a critical market for smartphone companies, it overtook the United States as World’s No 1
In August, China for the first time passed the United States to become the world’s biggest personal-computer market and now China overtook the United States as the world’s biggest smartphone market by…
- When can you expect Google Ice Cream Sandwich to be available on your Android 4.0 phone?
Since Google Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich was announced customers have been waiting to hear which the first Android operating system phones and tablets would get the upgrade. Here’s a list to help y…
- How Nokia lost its global market share more than 8 percent?
Finnish phone maker, Nokia (NOK1V) is quickly losing global market by Surging growth of no-brand manufacturers, according to worldwide sales figures published by the crystal ball gazers at Gartner. Mo…
- Another blow: Why Samsung scrapped plans to sell Windows RT OS tablets in the U.S?
The Korean electronics giant, Samsung has revealed that it’s dropped plans to create tablets for the Windows RT OS in the U.S. So what is the future prospects of Windows RT? Samsung isn’t the 1st com…
The post Can Samsung and Apple defend their dominance in the global smartphone market? appeared first on CEOWORLD Magazine.
Nasdaq quotes delayed at least 15 minutes, all others at least 20 minutes.
Markets are closed on certain holidays. Stock Market Holiday List
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Press Release Service provided by PRConnect.
Stock quotes supplied by Telekurs USA
Postage Rates Bots go here