adidas introduces revolutionary cushioning innovation
as part of its new Energy Running Segment
Herzogenaurach / New York, February 13, 2013 - At a global launch event today, adidas introduced a new way to run by unveiling its latest running innovation Energy Boost. Part of a new adidas segment called Energy Running, the shoe features BOOST(TM), a revolutionary cushioning technology which provides the highest energy return in the running industry.
"adidas helps make athletes better. With our new Boost foam, we are addressing a fundamental insight: everyone wants more energy. Whether you`re running a marathon, training for an upcoming season or just trying to get back in shape, our revolutionary Boost cushioning foam provides the highest energy return in any running products," says Eric Liedtke, Head of Sport Performance, "Energy Boost will reset the running industry and pave the way for all future performance footwear."
BOOST(TM) combines performance benefits that have been contradictory in the past: soft cushioning and responsiveness work together at last to give runners a running experience unlike any other.
"Energy is one of the most important elements for any athlete. Often people only think about speed, but energy is the secret weapon that can set you apart from the competition. An added boost of energy is what allows you to push yourself ahead of everyone else to cross that finish line first, especially in a sprint when every millisecond counts," says Yohan Blake, the current 100m World Champion who joined adidas at the launch of Energy Boost.
Boost your cushioning
The foundation of the BOOST(TM) innovation is centred on its cushioning material. Based on a groundbreaking development process created by adidas partner BASF, the world`s leading chemical company, solid granular material (TPU) is literally blown up and turned into thousands of small energy capsules which make up the footwear`s distinctive midsole. With their unique cell structure, these capsules store and unleash energy more efficiently in every stride. Tests conducted by the adidas Innovation Team show that the highly durable material found only in Energy Boost products provides the highest energy return in the running industry.
Boost your conditions
The new cushioning material not only provides the highest energy return in the industry, it also holds its performance in almost any condition at unparalleled levels. The adidas Innovation Team tested how the BOOST(TM) foam material reacted in a variety of temperatures compared to standard EVA foam commonly used in most running shoes.
These tests revealed that, when taken from +40 to -20 degrees Celsius, BOOST(TM) foam is three times more temperature-resistant than standard EVA material, providing a more consistent run.
Boost your comfort
The innovation goes beyond the revolutionary midsole technology. The upper on the Energy Boost features adidas Techfit technology with highly durable and elastic polyurethane, providing optimal comfort and support to the entire foot while in motion. A stretch, breathable mesh material offers the fit of a sock while engineered powerbands across the upper provide targeted support and stabilise the foot where needed when moving.
Boost your run
Energy Boost will be available worldwide at adidas Sport Performance stores, selected retailers and through e-commerce as of February 27, 2013. Visit www.adidas.com/Boost for more information.
Notes to Editors:
- The new adidas Energy Running segment caters to the one need every athlete has: energy.
- The first product within this segment is Energy Boost. The running shoe features BOOST(TM), the revolutionary cushioning material with the highest energy return in the running industry.
- The BOOST(TM) foam material combines previously contradicting performance benefits of soft and responsive cushioning.
- The energy return is provided by energy capsules in the midsole which store and release energy so efficiently that runners feel the difference from the first moment they put the shoes on.
- Based on an innovative process developed by adidas` partner BASF, the world`s leading chemical company, solid granular material (TPU) is literally blown up and turned into small energy capsules which make up the shoe`s distinctive midsole.
- When tested at extreme temperatures from +40 to -20 degrees Celsius, BOOST(TM) foam performs more consistently and does not lose its cushioning properties like standard EVA. BOOST(TM) also maintains its key characteristics better over its lifetime than the comparable EVA midsole.
- Additional adidas technology featured in the Energy Boost includes: a special mid-foot support frame which cradles the foot in place, an extended TORSION® system from heel to toe which helps to minimise roll for more stability, an adiwear outsole which reduces wear in key sole areas and extends the life of the shoe, and an external heel counter which maximises the heel fit and comfort during the run.
- Energy Boost is miCoach compatible.
adidas is a global designer, developer and marketer of athletic footwear, apparel and accessories with the mission to be the leading sports brand in the world. Brand adidas is part of the adidas Group, a corporation that includes brands such as Reebok, TaylorMade and Rockport.
About the adidas Group
The adidas Group is one of the global leaders within the sporting goods industry, offering a broad range of products around the core brands adidas, Reebok, TaylorMade, Rockport and Reebok-CCM Hockey. Headquartered in Herzogenaurach, Germany, the Group has more than 46,000 employees and generated sales of € 13.3 billion in 2011.
| Media Relations|
Chief Corporate Communication Officer
Tel.: +49 (0) 9132 84-3830
Director Corporate Communication
Tel.: +49 (0) 9132 84-3810
Corporate Communication Manager
Tel.: +49 (0) 9132 84-2680
| Investor Relations|
Vice President Investor Relations
Tel.: +49 (0) 9132 84-2751
Investor Relations Manager
Tel.: +49 (0) 9132 84-4989
Please visit our corporate website: www.adidas-Group.com
The owner of this announcement warrants that:
(i) the releases contained herein are protected by copyright and other applicable laws; and
(ii) they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the
information contained therein.
Source: adidas AG via Thomson Reuters ONE
Nasdaq quotes delayed at least 15 minutes, all others at least 20 minutes.
Markets are closed on certain holidays. Stock Market Holiday List
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Press Release Service provided by PRConnect.
Stock quotes supplied by Six Financial
Postage Rates Bots go here