Starbucks Coffee Company (NASDAQ:SBUX) today announced that its partners (employees), customers and community members are on track to volunteer one million community service hours around the world as part of their 2015 global responsibility goals. To help accelerate the company’s progress towards this ambitious goal, Starbucks is strengthening and expanding its third annual Global Month of Service, which kicks off on April 1, with the following five companies - Alaska Airlines, Deloitte, Fidelity Investments®, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts and Square.
Working together, the organizations will help drive tailored community service projects in the hometowns of these businesses throughout April in select U.S. cities to foster positive, long-term change. Starbucks Global Month of Service, which runs throughout April, is expected to inspire over 300,000 hours of service, by more than 75,000 volunteers, through 2,700 projects, across 40 countries around the globe.
“Coming together in service represents a fundamental act of citizenship that inspires individuals, businesses and community members to work together to create a stronger, more cohesive society,” said Blair Taylor, Starbucks chief community officer. “Our hope is that through service, and working with organizations like these as well as the people in the neighborhoods that we call home, we can help build the connections that will result in long term social and economic benefit as well as civic action.”
The Starbucks Global Month of Service, with the support of these companies will help achieve a 25% increase in participation from 2012. The cumulative reach of these projects will help Starbucks move toward one of its global responsibility goals of providing one million hours of community service by 2015.
Serving different aspects of the Starbucks enterprise, the organizations participating in Global Month of Service are encouraging their employees in their corporate hometown markets to join pre-determined local projects in conjunction with local non-profits. All of the service activities are reflective of the unique needs of each area and provide participants with the opportunity to leverage jobs skills and leadership qualities that enable long term, systemic change.
Community members are encouraged to sign up for projects over the course of the month in their neighborhoods at the Starbucks community website http://community.starbucks.com/index.jspa. Projects range from intimate, single events focused on organizing food for low income families to broader rebuilding or environmental efforts. In particular, the joint service projects include:
- Boston – with Fidelity Investments (April 5) – Over 100 volunteers will sort and distribute donated food products at the 117,000 square foot facility at The Greater Boston Food Bank’s Yawkey Distribution Center.
- Chicago – with Hyatt Hotels & Resorts (April 27) – In collaboration with Rebuilding Together Metro Chicago and Public Allies, more than 450 Hyatt guests, associates and their families, Starbucks employees, and other community members will volunteer to support home renovations and school improvements that will benefit the students and families of the community in a typically underfunded school district.
- New York – with Deloitte (April 20) – More than 500 Starbucks partners, Deloitte employees and customers will have the opportunity to choose from six projects throughout New York to be part of the rebuilding efforts in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. The United Way of New York City is coordinating projects in the Red Hook, Coney Island, Rockaway, Staten Island, Long Beach, and Lower East Side neighborhoods.
- San Francisco – with Square (April 27) – Teaming up with San Francisco Parks Alliance, 1,000 volunteers will be planting, painting, gardening, weeding, trimming and cleaning up at projects sites that represent a diverse mix of neighborhoods in San Francisco.
- Seattle – with Alaska Airlines (April 23-27) – This year's downtown Seattle Global Month of Service project will be a unique five-day event with a focus on health and human services organizations in the downtown corridor. Seattle Works and United Way of King County are coordinating close to 1,000 volunteers who will contribute to this revitalization of the downtown corridor from April 23 through 27, supporting the work of over 20 local NGOs.
A social media campaign will encourage these organizations, customers and Starbucks partners (employees) to share their stories of community service through Twitter using #extrashotofgood.
In addition, the launch of Starbucks Global Month of Service coincides with the publication of Starbucks annual Global Responsibility Report. The report outlines its fiscal year 2012 performance in its effort to help make communities stronger through ethical sourcing, environmental stewardship and community engagement. The report is available to review here: http://www.starbucks.com/responsibility/global-report
In addition to the more than 600,000 hours of community service reported in 2012, other highlights of this year’s Global Responsibility Report include:
- Environment: Starbucks has achieved LEED certification for 116 stores in 12 countries
- Ethical Sourcing: 93% of Starbucks coffee was ethically sourced in 2012, including 90% through C.A.F.E. Practices
- Community Engagement: In 2012, more than 54,000 young people took action in their communities and mobilized more than 1.8M hours of community service
Since 1971, Starbucks Coffee Company has been committed to ethically sourcing and roasting the highest quality arabica coffee in the world. Today, with stores around the globe, the company is the premier roaster and retailer of specialty coffee in the world. Through our unwavering commitment to excellence and our guiding principles, we bring the unique Starbucks Experience to life for every customer through every cup. To share in the experience, please visit us in our stores or online at starbucks.com.
Please visit starbucks.com/responsibility to view the full Global Responsibility Report.
Starbucks Media Relations, 206-318-7100
Nasdaq quotes delayed at least 15 minutes, all others at least 20 minutes.
Markets are closed on certain holidays. Stock Market Holiday List
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Press Release Service provided by PRConnect.
Stock quotes supplied by Six Financial
Postage Rates Bots go here