One of the best purchases I made recently was a refurbished Jawbone Big Jambox wireless speaker. The sound quality, volume levels and use as a hands-free voice speaker for calls are all fantastic. My speaker is about to get even better though, depending on what device I pair it with: The biggest benefits will come when I stream music from my iOS devices and not those running Android.
A new software update for the Big Jambox will soon be available on the MyTalk Jambox site that not only provides more stable streaming from an iOS device but also adds another two hours of playback.
Here’s a rundown of what to expect after the update, per an email I received from the Jawbone folks:
- Better Audio Experience: New AAC support for iOS 6.1 delivers improved audio streaming with fewer dropouts and interruptions at greater distances.
- Longer Battery Life: Gain two additional hours of battery life (that’s 17 total hours of playback!) when streaming from your iOS 6.1 device. It’s also less taxing on your connected device, meaning you’ll have more battery life on your paired iOS device too.
- Synced Volume Control: Now you can control the volume from your BIG JAMBOX or from your mobile device, without having to adjust the volume on both (requires AVRCP 1.4).
- New Silent Mode: Stream music on BIG JAMBOX without the interruption of voice prompts and tones. Just hold down the ‘Talk’ & ‘Minus’ buttons while powering BIG JAMBOX on to disable all sounds aside from your tunes and calls – BIG JAMBOX will stay in Silent Mode until disabled by holding down the ‘Talk’ & ‘Plus’ buttons while powering on.
- Performance Improvements: This update also improves the LED response on BIG JAMBOX and brings connectivity for PS Vita for killer mobile gaming audio.
I’m looking forward to the extra battery life, though all of the new features are welcome. Currently, the Big Jambox is advertised to provide 15 hours of run-time on one charge, which is plenty, but more is always better as I don’t typically charge the wireless speaker on a regular basis.
Even though I have access to all of the same music — thanks to cloud storage — on my Android devices as well as my iPhone 5 and iPad mini, I’ll probably start streaming more from the iOS devices after updating my speaker.
Related research and analysis from GigaOM Pro:
Subscriber content. Sign up for a free trial.
- The future of mobile: a segment analysis by GigaOM Pro
- Bluetooth to Feel Blue as Personal Area Network Battles Loom
- Analyzing the wearable computing market
Nasdaq quotes delayed at least 15 minutes, all others at least 20 minutes.
Markets are closed on certain holidays. Stock Market Holiday List
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Press Release Service provided by PRConnect.
Stock quotes supplied by Telekurs USA
Postage Rates Bots go here