April 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM EDT
Welland Toyota becomes third Toyota dealership in Canada to attain LEED Gold certification
Eco-friendly dealership is first privately-owned facility in south Niagara to achieve the status
TORONTO, ON., (April 18, 2013) – Toyota Canada is an environmental sustainability leader in many ways, from offering eco-friendly hybrid vehicles to partnering with like-minded organizations such as Earth Day Canada and Evergreen. That commitment to environmental sustainability is also being demonstrated by Canadian Toyota dealers in their local communities.
Most recently, Welland Toyota achieved a special milestone. As part of a $3.2 million project to create a state-of-the-art, 2,028-square-metre building, Welland Toyota incorporated a host of green elements to become the third Toyota dealership in Canada to obtain Gold Certification in the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System. Toyota in North America is leading the industry with 41 facilities certified to LEED, including 11 Toyota and Lexus facilities and 30 Toyota and Lexus dealerships.
The state-of-the-art Welland facility boasts many leading-edge features that have resulted in substantially reduced use of water and energy, along with much less waste. Highlights include:
- Savings of 100% on landscape irrigation, 97% on sewage conveyance, and 85% on potable water – as a result of low-flow fixtures and a 50-cubic-metre cistern to capture rainwater, plus having an on-site storm-water treatment system;
- Using reclaimed water for washing vehicles, to save 600 cubic metres per year of water;
- Energy cost savings of 54% through radiant floor heating, high-efficiency boilers, VRF cooling, best-practices lighting, and a roof-finished in reflective materials to reduce energy demands in the summer;
- Using FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) certified products, ensuring that wood products came from sustainably grown forests;
- Diverting 92% (131 tonnes) of construction waste from landfill, while using 17% recycled materials in construction, with 25% of materials regionally sourced;
- Successfully testing indoor air quality prior to moving in; and,
- Initiating a comprehensive green housekeeping program.
“We take great pride in this outstanding new facility that demonstrates how good business and doing what’s right for the environment can go hand in hand,” said George Farlow, Dealer Principal of Welland Toyota. “We’re excited about serving our customers in a home that serves as a model in the Niagara region, setting the highest possible standard of excellence in environmental design.”
For more information on Toyota’s environmental initiatives, please visit toyota.ca/environment.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota offers the most fuel efficient passenger car fleet in Canada, led by the industry’s largest selection of advanced technology vehicles such as the Toyota Prius. With a rich history of respect for the environment, Toyota Canada Inc. and its Dealerships align with like-minded organizations including Evergreen and through the Toyota Canada Foundation, Earth Day Canada, Scientists in School and the Traffic Injury Research Foundation (TIRF), to make things better where we live, work and play. TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.
Nasdaq quotes delayed at least 15 minutes, all others at least 20 minutes.
Markets are closed on certain holidays. Stock Market Holiday List
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Press Release Service provided by PRConnect.
Stock quotes supplied by Telekurs USA
Postage Rates Bots go here