The VOLATILITY S&P 500 (INDEXCBOE:VIX) is widely accepted as the “fear indicator” on Wall Street. Referred to simply as “the Vix,” it measures the price of essentially all options traded on the S&P 500 (INDEXSP:.INX), regardless of how far in or out of the money they may be. That means the VIX is tracking wild bets and huge hedge positions that really have little or nothing to say about what’s really happening in the trading pits.
Vix futures have also started skewing themselves enormously, in part by providing the cornerstone of exchange traded products (ETPs) that give traders ways to place unconventional volatility bets. The VIX Index itself can’t be traded but the instruments that it births do have influence. It’s a tangled relationship that has diluted its trustworthiness, but still everyone uses it.
Scott Nations, founder and CIO of NationsShares has a new product coming that he says is a better tool for tracking volatility and the way people on Wall Street really think of it. VolDex is an exchange he’s created that strips away the more obscure derivatives and measure the meat and potatoes options linked to the SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust(NYSEARCA:SPY).
By using the SPY, the VolDex measures the price volatility of just the S&P 500, eliminating the noise built into the Vix. Among the other benefits according to Nations are the greater liquidity offerred by the SPY options. The Vix is traded only off the Chicago Board of Trade or CBOE. SPY options “trade on every options exchange in the country” and as a result have bid/ask spreads of pennies rather than dimes.
You can see the full “Breakout” interview below:
- VXEEM as a Measure of Emerging Markets Volatility and Risk
- SPDR Gold Trust (ETF)(NYSEARCA:GLD): Gold Traditionally Bottoms In July And Zigzags Higher For The Rest Of The Year
- First Trust To Begin Trading The First Trust Morningstar Managed Futures Strategy Fund (NYSEArca:FMF)
- First Trust to Launch First Trust Morningstar Managed Futures Strategy Fund (NYSEArca:FMF)
- State Street Corporation (NYSE:STT) Launches SPDR Russell 2000 ETF (NYSEArca:TWOK) And Changes Indexes, Names And Tickers Of Three SPDR ETFs
Nasdaq quotes delayed at least 15 minutes, all others at least 20 minutes.
Markets are closed on certain holidays. Stock Market Holiday List
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Press Release Service provided by PRConnect.
Stock quotes supplied by Telekurs USA
Postage Rates Bots go here