Jordan Roy-Byrne: At the start of the year we asserted that the mining equities could lead the metals higher. Since then, the shares have roared higher while the metals have remained subdued. Gold has gained a bit but Silver has really struggled. Why are the stocks performing so well if the metals are not confirming?
The main reason is the stocks led the metals down (specifically Gold) during the bear market. The chart below plots CDNX (Canadian juniors), GDXJ (US juniors), GDX (large caps) and Gold. Note that both junior markets peaked months before Gold. GDX technically peaked at the same time but began its topping process in December 2010, well before Gold peaked.
The stocks essentially began to underperform in December 2010 and then peaked a few months later. Most companies peaked even before Gold went parabolic! As a result, most mining stocks have been in a bear market longer than Gold and may have already discounted the worst. It makes sense that they would bottom first and there is a precedent for that scenario.
The chart below shows the action in the HUI and Gold during the 2000-2001 bottom. The HUI bottomed in November while Gold formed a double bottom in February and April. The HUI barely corrected when Gold declined to its first bottom.(...)Click here to continue reading the original ETFDailyNews.com article: Why Gold Stocks Are Leading Gold [SPDR Gold Trust (ETF), Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF]You are viewing an abbreviated republication of ETF Daily News content. You can find full ETF Daily News articles on (www.etfdailynews.com)
- Gold ETFs Bounce Back After Rough Month, But Is It Merely Speculation? [SPDR Gold Trust (ETF), Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF, Direxion Shares Exchange Traded Fund Trust]
- Gold Bugs Are Getting Quietly Bullish [SPDR Gold Trust (ETF), Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF]
- Intense Demand For Physical Gold Continues Into 2014 [SPDR Gold Trust (ETF), Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF]
- Why Are The Banks So Bearish On Gold? [SPDR Gold Trust (ETF), Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF]
- Gold Miners: Trade Of The Year? [Direxion Shares Exchange Traded Fund Trust, Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF]
Nasdaq quotes delayed at least 15 minutes, all others at least 20 minutes.
Markets are closed on certain holidays. Stock Market Holiday List
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Press Release Service provided by PRConnect.
Stock quotes supplied by Telekurs USA
Postage Rates Bots go here