Jones Apparel Group (NYSE: JNY) is a multi-brand company that designs and markets women's and children's apparel, footwear, accessories, fragrances, and jewelry. These products are sold through third-party specialty retail stores and department stores, in addition to the company's own 1,017 retail stores. The company’s primary brand was initially Jones New York, but over time it has acquired and/or established over 30 brands, including Nine West and Anne Klein. JNY's brands cover a range of styles: sportswear, activewear, casual apparel, fashion, and formal attire.
In 2009 JNY received $3.3 billion in revenues, a decline from its 2008 revenue of $3.6 billion. Despite this decrease in revenues, it ended the year with a net loss of $86.3 million in 2009, compared to its net loss of $765 million in 2008. JNY has faced struggles recently, as the tough economic condition in the U.S. has dampened sales as consumers cut back on spending.(Read more at Wikinvest )
- Business Overview
- Business Segments
- Wholesale Better Apparel (27.7% of 2009 revenue)
- Wholesale Jeanswear (24.9%)
- Wholesale Footwear and Accessories (25.2%)
- Retail (20.7%)
- Licensing and Other (1.4%)
- Trends and Forces
- JNY Faring Better Than Its Letting On in the Recession?
- Market Pressures Lead to Goodwill and Trademark Impairment Charges
- Department Stores Turning to Private Labels