Shortly before Christmas, President Clinton signed clemency orders
criminals, including three who had been convicted of lying under oath.
Clemency decisions for convicted criminals are not unique for
and Clinton himself has pardoned some 110 criminals since 1993, 21 of
were granted last Christmas. The irony is in the pardons for perjury,
critics, considering that one of the articles of impeachment being
considered by the Senate against the president is for that very crime.
Advertisement - story continues below
The three pardons were issued for criminals who had been convicted of
to government agencies or a bank.
Typically the pardons go to those who have served the majority of
sentences, but it is not known whether those pardoned in December were
still serving sentences.
Those who received pardons were:
- Kevin Lester Teker for a 1989 conviction of buying and detonating
- Haig Ardash Arakelian, California, 1975, possession of marijuana.
- Estel Edmond Ashworth, Texas, 1974, mail theft by a postal employee.
- Vincent Anthony Burgio, California, 1972, possession of counterfeit
- Thomas Earl Burton, Virginia, 1982, attempted possession with intent
- Jesse Cuevas, Nebraska, 1984, unauthorized possession of food stamps.
- Harry Erla Fox, Army court-martial at Fort Devens, Mass., 1961, being
absent without leave.
- James William Gardner, Wyoming, 1983, conspiracy to distribute
- Alejandro Cruz Guedca, Army court-martial, location unavailable,
theft of government property.
- Sebraien Michael Haygood, New York, importing cocaine.
- Warren Curtis Hultgren Jr., Texas, 1982, conspiracy to possess with
to distribute cocaine.
- Sharon Sue Johnson, Arkansas, 1986, bank embezzlement.
- Ronald Ray Kelly, Marine Corps court-martial, location unavailable,
unlawful absences and escape.
- Francis Dale Knippling, South Dakota, 1985, conversion of mortgaged
- Michael Ray Krukar, Alaska, 1988, distribution of marijuana.
- Michael Francis Larkin, Massachusetts, 1984, making false statements
Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Leslie Jan McCall, Oklahoma, 1988, using telephone in cocaine
- Bobby Joe Miller, Texas, 1982, failing to report or concealing a
- William Edward Payne, Oregon, 1965, attempted gambling tax evasion.
- Robert Earl Radke, California, 1981, attempted income tax evasion.
- David Walter Ratliff, Oklahoma, 1981, making false statements to the
- Billy Wayne Reynolds, Texas, 1981, mail fraud.
- Benito Maldonado Sanchez Jr., Texas, 1960, possession of marijuana.
- Vicki Lynn Seals, Texas, 1984, making a false statement to a
insured bank while a bank employee.
- Lewis Craig Seymour, Oklahoma, 1979, distribution of PCP.
- Irving A. Smith, Maryland, 1957, conspiracy to fix prices.
- Darrin Paul Sobin, California, 1987, conspiracy to produce marijuana.
- Monty Mac Stewart, Oklahoma, 1983, fraud conspiracy, mail fraud,
aiding and abetting a false income tax return.
- John Timothy Thompson, Oklahoma, 1986, using telephone in cocaine
- Paul Loy Tobin, Alabama, 1968, interstate transport of a stolen car.
- Gerald William Wachter, Pennsylvania, 1974, conspiracy to move stolen
- Marian Lane Wolf, Texas, 1988, failing to report or concealing a
- Samuel Harrell Woodward, Air Force court-martial, location
1952, being absent without leave.